Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Drop Compensators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 01:46 PM

Drop Compensators

What's the best bullet drop compensator to put on Leupold & Bushnell? Any experience out there guys????
Old 07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Drop Compensators

www.kentonindustries.com
Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Writers Guild

For LR shooting, bullet drop compensators or reticles are not suitable in my opinion. Too much can change due to ambient conditions that the setting are not consistent enough.

Better to dial up and confirm with a spotter.

Out to 600yds, no problem but then that is not LR.

Jerry
Old 07-16-2004, 07:37 AM

Thanks for your comments Jerry!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

I've always thought the best, when I used them were the home made ones.

Basically, what you do is shoot your rifle at various ranges with your load, then note the come up values on paper. (Using my Laser Range Finder eliminated another variable as that is the same one I used in the field.)

What I did then was to take a vibratory engraver and mark the knob with a dot for each range for quick reference.

This in my opinion is vastly better than using a commercially available knob with some generic load values on it.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-16-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 07-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Bronze Member

Kenton will make a custom BDC to your drop data and it will look as good as anything out of the factory.

For use in real world hunting situations I find a properly designed BDC vastly superior to converting drop data to minutes. It offers a tremendous speed advantage under pressure and gives up nothing in precision on longer shots when you must compensate for small changes in temp or pressure.

Just make a correction chart for change in temp or pressure from the conditions used to develop the BDC. It is just as easy as using a chart that converts this data to minutes but you still retain the advantages of the BDC.

Jerry,

I have to disagree with you on the idea that 600yds is not long range.

[ 07-16-2004: Message edited by: John Burns ]
Old 07-16-2004, 07:02 PM

That Whitetail that was strutting at 600 yds last year thought it was long distance; when no one took a shot at him. Most all these folks down here take a 50 yd shot if possible. I want to reach out and touch him this year.......