Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

dot reticle scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Bronze Member

dot reticle scopes

Please forgive me if this has been covered before. If so, point me to those posts as I couldn't find what I was looking for doing a search. Besides, I'm not very good at searches plus I'm new to all of this.

Anyway, for long range target shooting, can a scope with just a dot reticle be used practically? I mean, there would be no way to do any ranging with the reticle. One would have to do all adjustments by dialing, am I correct? Also, distances to the target would need to be known beforehand or determined using a rangefinder?

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM

Re: dot reticle scopes

Dot reticles can work great for long range shooting but yes, you would need to dial for your distances and a range finder or Google earth would aid greatly in determining distance.

Let me know if I can help additionally

Regards,
Ken
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks a bunch, Ken.

Now, for those who are technically challenged (yeah me), just how does Google Earth help in determining distances between objects?

Bill
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Hello Bill,

Google earth help in determining distances by, zooming in on the general area you are planning to shoot and then use the distance measure tool,"looks like a verticle standing Ruler" select the option for Path and set the increments in yards or meters and this generally works quite well as long as you have a decent easy to find linear range.

Regards,
Ken
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

How could Google map be????? If you have an older scope as my Tascorama Varmint, 6x24, 1/8 MOA dot , 1/8 MOA turrets ? I would say check your bullet speed -weight - consult relialbe charts , and use the MOA for bullet drop at range.