Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Don't understand my Mil Dot scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Don't understand my Mil Dot scope

You need to do a little bit of research on your particular load. You will need to know your muzzle velocity at a minimum. Check out this site, and plug in your particular numbers.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)
Keep in mind however that as the environmental conditions change, so will your drop data. But use numbers that match up with an average day in your AO, and it'll get you close.

The main function of the mil dots is to determine range to the target, as long as you know the size of the object. They can be used for hold overs/unders and for movers as well, obviously. However, you just need to determine the drops for your load, and make sure that you are on the same power setting when doing this. I am of course assuming you have an SFP scope, meaning the crosshairs appear to remain the same size in the scope as power is increased or decreased. You also need to make sure of what power setting your mils are accurate on. One mil should subtend 3.6" at 100 yds. In other words, from the center of the crosshair, to the center of the first dot, either top, bottom, L or R. And also, from the center of that dot, to the center of the next dot.

Geb

Unread 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

I'm trying to learn a bit more about this also. Has anyone tried the Mil Dot Master? Here is the link.

MidwayUSA - Mildot Enterprises Mildot Master Range and Bullet Drop Calculation Guide
Unread 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

The Mildot Master is very useful in my opinion. I have one in each of my log books for each rifle. It takes care of the calculations, all you have to do is line up the corresponding values.
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Iron Worker,

The JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified) is a good Idea. Other wise just send to me all the info and I will make one for you and work with you untill the dop chart matches your real life impact points.
To spend money on a Mildot Master, I'd rather save the money and buy me an inexpensive PDA and a Ballistic Program for it.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 05-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Let's not get confused, the Mildot master is not used as a ballistic resource. I think it can be used to help with drop data, but the main use is for determining range to the target, in an easy to use format. You would still be wise to invest in the PDA and ballistic program. But unless you know the range to the target, the PDA ain't gonna help much. I use Exbal on a Palm and it works pretty good. Several others are out there as well such as the Nightforce. Take Eaglet up on his offer to get your data squared away, that's a nice offer.
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

That's true, and it's only as accurate as you can guess the size of the target; therefore... I think Iron Worker already has a range finder.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 05-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Howdy Eaglet my bullet is a 70gr Nosler Balistic tip. I'm shooting these out of the "Hot rod" 6x284. I can comfortably push those bullets to 3,850 FPS. BC is .310.... What else do you need? ..... I was in Fallon NV Friday and Saturday trying to call in some coyotes. I went to several locations east and west of Fallon. I couldn't get any to come in. Plus I didn't see any Jacks either. Is this all because of the drought?