Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

DOCTER Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 09:18 PM

DOCTER Scopes

Anyone have any experience with DOCTER optics? Looking at new scopes for my 7MM. Curious, about there clarity/brightness,durability,etc. Have a 3.5-10 Zeiss Conquest that I love, being that the DOCTER company can be traced back to Zeiss was wondering if they are of this quality or caliber.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: DOCTER Scopes

My buddy who is a desert sheep guide has a pair of the Docter 15-60x80 observation binoculars from the early 90's era. They are heavy duty and well made. The optics are decent to my eye, but they have a slight yellow hue to them. Resolution is good, and the focus is fast and generous. I do not think that they are brighter or clearer than my Swaro STS 20-60x80 spotting scope but I can look through the Docters all day because they are a bino not a spotter.

As for the rifle scopes, I have never seen one but I would imagine the same optics would be used in them as well.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Corner,
Doctor optics were previously known as "CARL ZEIS JENA", Jena being the former East german town where they were manufactured

I dont think they are any thing to do with the other Ziess but i might be wrong.
I did have a pair of 10x50s made by Carl Ziess some years ago, they were then classed as mid-priced binos and i thought they were very good.

A buddy of mine has a Doctor Asperical lensed scope on his 30-06 Tikka continental and it is a fine piece glass.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

I replied to this post earlier and the damn PC didn't post it.

Doctor where perhaps comparable with Leupold maybe 10 years ago. WIth slightly better coatings maybe. In the last years they have come on in Quality and are now a reliable hunting scope with good clarity. They are no S&B, but they are a good option for a guy on a budget.
Doctor also manufacture scopes for the 2 big German hunting store chains, Kettner and Frankonia ( like Cabellas.)
in the same way the motor industry has maybe 1 model of vehicle with 3 different names and prices (eg VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra, Ford Galaxy) with the Frankonia or Kettner scopes you get the same Doctor scope, at a sli8ghtly discount price.
The difference is typicaly around 10 to 20 %
for example.
The Frankonia catalog lists the Doctor 2.5-10x48, 30mm, alloy, illuminated at : 1120 euro
same scope, with frankonia name on it: 989 euro.

Pete
Old 11-13-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info.guys!