Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Do you use a illuminated reticle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Do you use a illuminated reticle?

I looking at a burris XTR 4-16 the only problem is I like the burris mil-dot reticle ( has hashes instead of dots for the elevation ) compared to the standard mil-dot. The problem is only the standard mil-dot comes with an illuminated reticle. So the question is , is the illuminated reticle important or more important than the reticle? Do you use or wish you had an illuminated reticle? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you use a illuminated reticle?

I have a cheap varmint scope that has an IR works great on raccoons and opossoms during low light conditions.
Robster
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
I looking at a burris XTR 4-16 the only problem is I like the burris mil-dot reticle ( has hashes instead of dots for the elevation ) compared to the standard mil-dot. The problem is only the standard mil-dot comes with an illuminated reticle. So the question is , is the illuminated reticle important or more important than the reticle? Do you use or wish you had an illuminated reticle? Thanks for the help.
I would choose the reticle that I like over the lighted one. In poor light they do help but only if you can turn them way down(Some models are to bright and can hinder your site picture.

For night hunting they are great.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

I would go with the reticle you like best over IR. I never even turn mine on unless I'm playing with it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

For a target rifle non-IR is fine but all my hunting rifles are Illuminated. My best results hunting have been right at dawn or dusk and if you are trying to look at the edge of the tree line the crosshairs blend in. As posted above you do not have to turn them very brite at all. If you night hunt a quality IR will work with 1/2 moon without any light source.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

some of my hunting scopes are illuminated, some are not.
dont let the illumination be the determining factor on your scope choice. if there is a scope that you like the features on but is not illuminated, go ahead and get it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Before I got a night vision scope on a AR for coyote hunting I used a IR scope without another light source with my foxpro call. You can get off a clean shot without them being at a dead run. Called in a group once and shot and they did not know where I had shot from and one ran towards me because I did not have a q-beam on. Everybody has their favorites and we have plenty to choose from, thank goodness.