Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

DO Tapered bases change Point blank range and trajectory ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

DO Tapered bases change Point blank range and trajectory ?

Visual line of sight in relation to trajectory??? I have never seen any ballastics programs where you can input what taper you have on your scope base or trajectory based on a 100 yard zero with a tapered base. Any body got more info? To me .sorrry finish later
Old 07-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: DO Tapered bases change Point blank range and trajectory ?

I don't know of any programs that have an input for the taper of your mounts either. From personal experience on my .30-06, they don't change. If you have enough down adjustment for your scope to be zeroed at 100 yards with the added MOA of the mount, all the taper does is allow you to adjust your point of impact to longer ranges. I am still using the same ballistics card out to 700 that I used before I changed to the tapered base and had to add out to 1000 yards for the new base, because the scope can now adjust to that range.

Sorry if the post doesn't make much sense. Just trying to help a little bit.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 07-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

The base would not have any effect on the trajectory of the bullet, it will still follow the same path as it would with a 0 cant base and would require the same amount of adjustment. The only thing that would change would be the available elevation adjustment in the scope. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-John
Old 07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

what about los angle?i use jb calculations and am not sure about that?....next?