Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

do i need to shim scope???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

do i need to shim scope???

I just got back from the range with my new 257 weatherby. I had to max out my elevation to within 5 clicks of stopping. I am assuming that I have to shim the bases to some degree to compensate for this? The scope is a Burris fullfield tactical II 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle. the rings are R. W. Harts one piece aluminum. These are the rings with the bases machined into one piece. the set of two weighs 3oz.(these rings did come with a packet of shims) and the rifle is a weatherby mark V ultralight. The set up is sweet and light. it shot one hole groups all day!!! I mean .1 to .2s with all the loads I threw at it today. I was actually very impressed to say the least. I have never come close to shooting this well ever. I even fired the last group of the day at 675 using the ballistic plex reticle and shot under a 4" group!! the thing is though, this scope does have target like turets under the caps that you can zero once sited in. I would like to take advantage of this. with the current set up I can only click up 5 clicks!!! Does anyone have any idea how much to shim the bases? I am quessing the rear base must come up? Help!!! this gun is unreal otherwise. I've got to get her into shape. any info. would be appreciated, thanks AL
Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: do i need to shim scope???

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkeyser View Post
I just got back from the range with my new 257 weatherby. I had to max out my elevation to within 5 clicks of stopping. I am assuming that I have to shim the bases to some degree to compensate for this? The scope is a Burris fullfield tactical II 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle. the rings are R. W. Harts one piece aluminum. These are the rings with the bases machined into one piece. the set of two weighs 3oz.(these rings did come with a packet of shims) and the rifle is a weatherby mark V ultralight. The set up is sweet and light. it shot one hole groups all day!!! I mean .1 to .2s with all the loads I threw at it today. I was actually very impressed to say the least. I have never come close to shooting this well ever. I even fired the last group of the day at 675 using the ballistic plex reticle and shot under a 4" group!! the thing is though, this scope does have target like turets under the caps that you can zero once sited in. I would like to take advantage of this. with the current set up I can only click up 5 clicks!!! Does anyone have any idea how much to shim the bases? I am quessing the rear base must come up? Help!!! this gun is unreal otherwise. I've got to get her into shape. any info. would be appreciated, thanks AL
Shim the rear about as much as the packet of shims will allow. It may be more secure in the end to just get a 20MOA base and new rings.