Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

DIY Scope mounting question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM

DIY Scope mounting question?

I have a Nikon Monarch and the scope caps are level on the monarch, if i use the scope turrent caps as a guide for the level, would that work ok and how precise would it be.

should I use loctite for rings and bases, if so what kind

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Miller Outdoors

Re: DIY Scope mounting question?

I use the scope cap as level. It's the only option I can think of to mount the level.

I use blue Loctite on the base screws and nothing on the ring screws.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Most people use the turret caps to place their level for mounting, on most scopes that is the only option. I alsoo use the loctite on bases but not rings. You might as well get a lapping kit to lap those rings. I will never mount another scope without at least lightly lapping the rings. This helps ensure proper ring alignment for a stress free fit around that expensive scope, and if done correctly will completely eliminate ring marks on the scope.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

I have a level mounted to my picitinny rail. I then take an edge of a garage or hang a plumb string about 50-100yds. away and level my vertical crosshair off of that. That way I know when my bubble is in the middle my crosshairs are good. Check out Darell Hollands article here on recticular perpendicularity. +1 on the Loctite for the bases and lapping the rings.