Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

DIY custom turret for Leupold VX3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: DIY custom turret for Leupold VX3

I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

Get into Excel. Set your column width to 0.33. Now, each one of your cells is 0.25 moa wide (correlating to hash marks on the leupold turret). So, the edge of each cell (left to right) would equal one click (1/4 moa). If you "format cells" and add borders (vertical) on the edges only, when printed, these "borders" will correlate to 1/4 moa hash marks. Use the cells above (merge and center two to center the number over the hash mark) to add in your numbers or yardage. Do the same thing above that for windage holds at specific distance (for ONE wind speed).

I made one in excel that was strictly MOA. Directly below that, I used a ballistics calculator printed in 10 yard increments to tell me what MOA adjustment I needed at specific distance (for me it was easier than figuring even - 600, 700, 800 - increments because rarely are even yardages an exact moa adjustment). I scaled my hash marks for roughly 25 yard increments with every 100 yards labeled (with a 10 mph wind hold above it).

Here's the redneck part, with two layers of plastic shipping tape on the back, when wrapped around the turret, hash marks line up just about perfectly!

Sweet! I'm going to try later tonight to figure it out with vortex moa turrets!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Express View Post
I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck
way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

Get into Excel. Set your column width to 0.33. Now, each one of your cells is 0.25 moa wide (correlating to hash marks on the leupold turret). So, the edge of each cell (left to right) would equal one click (1/4 moa). If you "format cells" and add borders (vertical) on the edges only, when printed, these "borders" will correlate to 1/4 moa hash marks. Use the cells above (merge and center two to center the number over the hash mark) to add in your numbers or yardage. Do the same thing above that for windage holds at specific distance (for ONE wind speed).

I made one in excel that was strictly MOA. Directly below that, I used a ballistics calculator printed in 10 yard increments to tell me what MOA adjustment I needed at specific distance (for me it was easier than figuring even - 600, 700, 800 - increments because rarely are even yardages an exact moa adjustment). I scaled my hash marks for roughly 25 yard increments with every 100 yards labeled (with a 10 mph wind hold above it).

Here's the redneck part, with two layers of plastic shipping tape on the back, when wrapped around the turret, hash marks line up just about perfectly!

Nice, keep us informed about how it omes out for the vortex moa.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Express View Post
I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

I wonder if there are different excel programs because I tried the .33 and it didnt work for me I had to be at .5 to be close to .25 MOA. Maybe the circumference of the turret makes a difference. Probably have to measure circ then divide by the MOA for each specific turret.
I think it would work for me at .5 though.
gary
Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 AM

Hello, i search this Execel-File to make a new label on my Turrets. Can someone help me??
Thank you!!

Thomas