Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Difference between Vortex Viper Model Riflescopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Difference between Vortex Viper Model Riflescopes?

I am looking to build up a new Tikka Superlight .270 and thinking about getting a Vortex Scope on it. I am fairly dumb as it pertains to all the different models of scopes and what all the values mean. I usually just sight in my basic scope and then kill whatever is in my crosshairs out to 400 yards. That is not intended to be a brag but I am just oblivious to what else somebody needs.

I am looking at something in the 4-16x44 range and their are three Vortex models that are are close together:

Vortex HS
Vortex HS LR
Vortex HS-T

Can somebody help me understand what the difference is on these or what I would be gaining/giving up by going with one over another. I probably have a max at 500 yards and that would be in desperation rather than goal of shooting that far. Weight is a little bit of a factor but these all seem close to each other within a few ounces. Are some of these more than I would really need? Would something like the HS LR be a good middle ground of the three?

Any help and education would really help me in making the best decision. I currently have no rifle with a turret but could be open to learning. Lastly this will designed for a hunting rifle and not just a range rifle.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Difference between Vortex Viper Model Riflescopes?

Sounds like you're after the HS, the LR and HS-T are exposed turret models intended for turret twisters. The Vortex website breaks down all their models with pics and descriptions if more info is needed.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

If your interested in dialing then the hst scope is pretty hard to beat. If you would like to use hold over by aiming with the reticle than the hs xlr in ffp is your best bet.

I don't personally care for bdc reticles that are not moa based as they have predetermined aiming spots that may or may not match your rifle...however an moa reticle is more adaptable to any rifle configuration.

The hst would allow you both the ability to dial in your shots or to use the reticle for precise hold over. It also has a zero stop function and with a 44 bell mounts low and is a smaller profile than the others mentioned.

Jordan@406
Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5325 View Post
Sounds like you're after the HS, the LR and HS-T are exposed turret models intended for turret twisters. The Vortex website breaks down all their models with pics and descriptions if more info is needed.
the HS LR windage is capped
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Difference between Vortex Viper Model Riflescopes?-img_0652-small-.jpg