Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Did the laser RF killed the MilDot ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Did the laser RF killed the MilDot ??

I don't think so . Mildot ranging is within that maxim " KISS " .LRF 's reqire batteries . Lrf's don't always read ( especially flat country with no sizable verticals ) .

I think the ability to go either way is the place to be . Now ...........where is that blinking mildot master book at anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Gotta go study now .

Jim B.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I still practice ranging with Mil-Dots even though I use a LRF. Ya never know when there will be a mechanical failure with the LRF.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Mil-Dots work well for their intended use human targets. Even then a LRF is more accurate. For a hunting situation with four leg creatures they're a waste. For their intended use any hit is a good hit.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I dissagree. Most critters I hunt while using mil-dots are about 18" from back to belly. 27.778*18 = 500. 500 is a constant for 18" critters. If it takes up 1 mil its 500 yards if it takes up 1/2 mil its 1000 yards, 2 mils is 250 yards. You get the point. I regularly get readings from my LRF within 25 yards of my calculation by mil-dot out to 750 yards. 25 yards with the 308 at 750 is quite a bit but 1 quick sighter shot and youre in buisness. I agree that LRF's are way better but there is no harm in practicing for when the unit goes T.U.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

I didn't say I don't like mil-dots, but for hunting animals I can't say all I hunt are 18" Even so for me, I would rather take out the guess work, range it dial it and kill it. There are enough other variables to deal with besides having to estimate animal size. Through practice I can say my chances of a 1 shot kill are greatly increased by the use of a LRF.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

However, don't you see a less than bright future in light of the new developments in LRF??

I share the common notion of still using the MilDot, on the other hand it's very fun!

I made the original post to make a point. I remember how many people "forgot" minimal navigation skills when GPS appeared.

Maybe...mildots are goingo to follow the same path

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

Personally, if the Mil-Dot's popularity fades, I feel it will be because of the newer style ranging reticles rather than the LRF's. Holland's MOA reticle, the Boone & Crockett and the Varmint Hunter's reticles from Leupold, the various special purpose reticles from Nightforce, all of those will kill the Mil-Dot first, I think. But that's just one man's opinion.
Good luck and Good shooting,
Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS