Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Dialing Scope in MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Dialing Scope in MOA

Recently, I purchased a scope that has 1/8" click turrets and intend to use it for punching paper. Instead of creating my dope chart using clicks, I would like to create it using MOA as this is obviously much quicker than counting clicks. My turrets have MOA markings.

My question is since I have a 1/8" click say my drop chart says to input 6.8 MOA how would I do that considering 1/8" does not equate to 1.047.

I created wrote a chart which looks like this:

1 click = .125 MOA
2 clicks = .250 MOA
3 clicks = .375 MOA
4 clicks = .5 MOA
5 clicks = .625 MOA
6 clicks = .75 MOA
7 clicks = .875 MOA
8 clicks = 1 MOA

So for the 6.8 MOA I would input 6 MOA and then another MOA, however I think by doing it this way I would fall short of the true adjustment I would need in elevation due to the fact that I converted not using 1.047.

Another example, I was told to dial 3.3 MOA into the scope so I turned the turret 3 MOA and then divided the 3 after the decimal point by 8 to get .375 which in my chart above means I would dial in an additional 3 clicks.

Will this work or am I converting 1/8" clicks to MOA incorrectly?

Kyle

*******After writing this I had a idea hit me, I wonder if I had 3.82 MOA if I could not dial in the 3 MOA and then the 82 is 82/100th of an inch so to convert that to 8th's since that is what my scope turret it set for (1/8" clicks") I did the following:

82/100 = ?/8 which would be 6.5 more clicks past 3 MOA and rounded up would make 3.82 MOA equal to 3 MOA and 7 clicks.

However, this still for some reason does not seem as if it would work since I am converting using whole inches and not 1.047" = 1 MOA.

Last edited by Kyle_freemason; 08-24-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: After thoughts needed to be added for relevance.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Dialing Scope in MOA

Kyle,
Welcome to LRH!
Does your 1/8" scope turrets list a 1 for 1", 2 for 2" etc?
Describe your turret please, or tell me what scope you have so I can see or get a pic.

If your scope turret lists what 1 for one inch, 2 for two inches and so on, what you do is set up your ballistic software for 1/8 inch clicks.
Then your drop chart will be speaking the same language your scope understands.

Don't think in inches but rather in numbers. If it takes 6 1/8 inches at 100 yards for a 600 yard connection, instead of counting clicks or trying to think in MOA, simply dial your turret (assuming it has been zeroed) to the number 6 on your turret and add one click for the 1/8. hopefully your turret cap will also have a longer or bolder line for the 1/2" point as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Kyle,
Welcome to LRH!
Does your 1/8" scope turrets list a 1 for 1", 2 for 2" etc?
Describe your turret please, or tell me what scope you have so I can see or get a pic.

If your scope turret lists what 1 for one inch, 2 for two inches and so on, what you do is set up your ballistic software for 1/8 inch clicks.
Then your drop chart will be speaking the same language your scope understands.

Don't think in inches but rather in numbers. If it takes 6 1/8 inches at 100 yards for a 600 yard connection, instead of counting clicks or trying to think in MOA, simply dial your turret (assuming it has been zeroed) to the number 6 on your turret and add one click for the 1/8. hopefully your turret cap will also have a longer or bolder line for the 1/2" point as well.

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for the welcome to LRH! I recently found this site while looking for resources.

Here is the link to the scope I have mounted on the rifle:
8.5-2544AO Tactical*•*Mueller Optics

You mention not thinking in inches but rather in numbers and give the example of 6 1/8 inches. My turret is marked with MOA markings, you will see in the photo on the link I sent you That is why I focus on dialing in MOA. If I had to think in numbers and the drop was say 40 inches needed in elevation it would be much easier to dial that in MOA since that is what the turret has markings for.

Thanks for the input!

Kyle
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

hey mate. i started a thread about this a while ago and got some real good info that really hepled out. hers the link. think its the right one. if not have a search because many people ask the same question.
hope it goes well for you..
confusion on dialing in range
Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

I think you're seeing exactly why 'clicks' from zero are easier.
You might also validate whether the scope & turrets are in inches/100yd, or MOA.
It isn't both.
The turrets are not in MOA if their adjustment causes IPHY correction.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_freemason View Post
Hi Ernie,

Thank you for the welcome to LRH! I recently found this site while looking for resources.

Here is the link to the scope I have mounted on the rifle:
8.5-2544AO Tactical*•*Mueller Optics
You mention not thinking in inches but rather in numbers and give the example of 6 1/8 inches. My turret is marked with MOA markings, you will see in the photo on the link I sent you That is why I focus on dialing in MOA. If I had to think in numbers and the drop was say 40 inches needed in elevation it would be much easier to dial that in MOA since that is what the turret has markings for.

Thanks for the input!
Kyle

Do your turrets say "MOA" on them?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 PM

The scope turrets are not in MOA they are 1/8" click but have graduated measurement from 0-9. The graduations I believe are MOA graduations. In the link I provided you see a photo of the uncapped turret and these markings. Maybe these are not MOA markings but rather to show inches...but they look like MOA markings to me.

John 14:15

Last edited by Kyle_freemason; 08-24-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add Photo.