Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Defective Nightforce NXS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

I have owned 12 Nightforce scopes and still own 7. I have had several problems over the years that seemed to point toward the scope. Ultimately, all of the problems were found to be non Nightforce scope related. I have been very impressed with their products and technical assistance. Please keep us posted with the results. Gary Campbell
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraedge View Post
I have owned 12 Nightforce scopes and still own 7. I have had several problems over the years that seemed to point toward the scope. Ultimately, all of the problems were found to be non Nightforce scope related. I have been very impressed with their products and technical assistance. Please keep us posted with the results. Gary Campbell
My problem sure seems like the scope but before I send it in I'm going to try it on one of my proven rifles...just to confirm it isn't something screwy with the rifle. I have also had such good luck with NF that I find it hard to accept I got a bad one.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

I have owned a few NXS, still own a half dozen, and I have had problems out of a couple of them. Just a week or two ago I was having problems with a rifle and began to doubt my scope when I shot a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I swapped scopes bore sighted it and fired one round. I then dialed tot he bullet hole and shot a 3 shot group with a mixture of fireforming and fireformed rounds. Yea I think it was the 5.5x22.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I have owned a few NXS, still own a half dozen, and I have had problems out of a couple of them. Just a week or two ago I was having problems with a rifle and began to doubt my scope when I shot a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I swapped scopes bore sighted it and fired one round. I then dialed tot he bullet hole and shot a 3 shot group with a mixture of fireforming and fireformed rounds. Yea I think it was the 5.5x22.
This is exactly what mine is doing. Did it just start doing this? How old is the scope?
Mine was bought within the the last six months, but I just mounted it a month ago. It worked fine for about 100 rounds, then went south.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Greyfox mine is a three year old plain jane 5.5x22. I have used it as a "shop" scope for a while so it has been on a bunch of different rifles including some heavy kickers with aggressive brakes. I really cannot say that I expect any scope to hold up as much punishment as I have put it through. I took it off of a braked 7mm-338 lapua a while back and put it on a non braked 30-338 lapua improved. I went on an oryx hunt earlier this year and killed an oryx using that scope. I was starting to get ready for some elk hunting when I realized it was busted. I knew something was up when I missed my six hundred yard steel.

Don't worry, in general they are very tough scopes and NXS makes it good when you send them a busted one.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

I ended up sending my Nightforce in to be checked out. I'll start by saying that the overall experience with the support department at NF was quite impressive. The gentleman I spoke to really knew his stuff! We went though all the aspects of my shooting results, mounts, bedding, results when I tested the rifle with another scope etc. The most interesting part of the discussion was that he stated they have never had a scope mechanically exhibit POI variations at +2-3MOA that I experienced, and, quite similar to that shown on Eddybo's target in the prior post in this thread. Variations from mechanical issues are in the less then 1.5 MOA range. He felt that the type of variation I have would be mount or bedding related. I also believed that, and after two checks on this that indicated no movement, and a scope change which ended up giving me several groups at my original accuracy, he sensed my loss of confidence. and offered to do a full double blind test on the scope which he said would absolutely indicate an issue with the scope. He felt the probem might be fixed by going to NF rings, but my steel MK 4's showed no movement as far as I could see. The only wild card in this was that he said that my Mark 4 scope being lighter in weight may not be shifting under recoil while the heavier NF could. I was not inclined to throw more money into NF mounts at this unless they confirm the scope is not my problem and I retest it on my rifle. As stated previously, the quality of the service responsiveness is top notch with customer satisfaction being top priorty!!!

Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
the quality of the service responsiveness is top notch with customer satisfaction being top priorty!!!
This is good to hear. I have owned and still own many and never needed assistance but it is great to know help is offered if needed.

Jeff