Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Defective Nightforce NXS?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,258
Defective Nightforce NXS?

I have been working on a recently acquired Savage 111 FCP which I mounted a Nightforce NXS G7 5.5x22. After break in, and load work I was pleased get the rifle shooting consistent .25-.5 MOA. After about 100 rounds my groups became very sporadic. A couple of shots would group, then a couple would land several inches away(200 yards). After racking my brains and checking bedding, scope mounts, loads, etc, this continued for three trips to the range and was getting progressively worse. The thought of my NF being the cause didn't even cross my mind since I have owned 5, all being perfect. The tip off while shooting was that while I use a scope level, visually it appeared unlevel on some shots. After shooting a 5 inch group and being frustrated after once again checking my bedding and mounts with carefully prepared loads, I decided to raise my scope elevation 8 clicks. The next four shots went into a tight group exactly where I would have expected them to based on my original zero when the rifle was shooting well. The next group began flying again. I became suspect of the scope. For my next trip to the range I mounted an old Leupold Mark 4, 8x25 M1 that has been well proven. After zeroing I proceeded to shoot 15 rounds into an inch at 200 yards. Sure looks like a defective scope. Any one seen this with their NF?
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 31
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

Never owned one. I use the Leupold MK4 also and never had an issue, but sure sounds like your issues are related to your scope and would send it in for check. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 360
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

the diffrence between top end companys and lower end companies is not nessessarly that they never have issues, its how the company deals with the issues when they pop up. nightforce scopes dont have issues to often, but when they do you will be pleased with nightforces service unlike alot of companies
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,364
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

If you're gun keeps shooting well with the Leupold, you might as well send the NF in for inspection and repair, since failing scopes can be difficult and time consuming to diagnose. Also, you've already lost confidence in this NF, and that confidence won't be restored until the factory checks it out and gives it a "thumbs-up".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,258
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
the diffrence between top end companys and lower end companies is not nessessarly that they never have issues, its how the company deals with the issues when they pop up. nightforce scopes dont have issues to often, but when they do you will be pleased with nightforces service unlike alot of companies
I agree that service response is important, and problems can slip through the process. I have never had to use NF service, but to be frank, when you are spending $2000 for a scope I don't expect to. I'm wondering if NF quality is slipping compared to a few years back. My last purchase a year ago, was Benchrest model that, while it performs fine, I was not that impressed. The objective mounted parallax adjustment when adjusted for 300 yards, reads 225 yards on the scale. The finish was not great either. Not a big deal, but I expect that lack of attention to detail from scopes costing half as much.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
PUBLISHER
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,836
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

Quote:
I'm wondering if NF quality is slipping compared to a few years back.
I have used NF for well over 10 years so far with no problems. Probably 6 different scopes, maybe more. I have no way of really knowing if there has been a drop in quality but I highly doubt it.

But --- Kathy and I had a four hour tour of the factory in Orofino, ID in August. I will be writing about my experience in December when I am done traveling for a little while.

I went there sort of expecting to be impressed with how they approach quality control. But I was really blown away with the effort they put into quality. Simply amazing. And the word amazing is so often over used lately.

In recent years their sales and profits have gone up a lot and it looks to me as though they are investing a huge portion of the increase in quality equipment and systems.

They check each and every scope for quality upon completion and I was given an unusually thorough tour and explanation of the manufacturing and QC processes. I don't think many visitors have ever had quite that experience. In fact, we had to sign a nondisclosure agreement before the tour began.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,258
Re: Defective Nightforce NXS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I have used NF for well over 10 years so far with no problems. Probably 6 different scopes, maybe more. I have no way of really knowing if there has been a drop in quality but I highly doubt it.

But --- Kathy and I had a four hour tour of the factory in Orofino, ID in August. I will be writing about my experience in December when I am done traveling for a little while.

I went there sort of expecting to be impressed with how they approach quality control. But I was really blown away with the effort they put into quality. Simply amazing. And the word amazing is so often over used lately.

In recent years their sales and profits have gone up a lot and it looks to me as though they are investing a huge portion of the increase in quality equipment and systems.

They check each and every scope for quality upon completion and I was given an
unusually thorough tour and explanation of the manufacturing and QC processes. I don't think many visitors have ever had quite that experience. In fact, we had to sign a nondisclosure agreement before the tour began.
That's good to hear Len. As I mentioned in my post, I have owned quite a few over the tears as well, all performing flawlessly. When I planned out my 338 Lapua I felt the heavy recoil combined the extended long range intention would require a NF because of it's ruggedness and precision. I'm planning to giving NF a call Monday to arrange for the repair of the scope. I am looking forward to reading your write up of the tour. Art
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Defective Nightforce NXS?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satisfied Users Of Nightforce Scopes From Nightforce Optics Len Backus Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 34 10-17-2011 04:37 AM
Defective bullets tnshooter111 General Discussion 4 08-12-2011 01:09 PM
defective merchandise jmason General Discussion 5 10-01-2008 10:05 AM
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 w/Nightforce Titanium Rings **TRADED** HoustonPDLt Optics For Sale 4 01-23-2008 06:48 PM
Defective Accubonds??? dwm Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 07-21-2003 11:33 PM

Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.20%
911 Votes
No - 52.80%
1,019 Vote
Total Votes: 1,930
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC