Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Decision time..(NF 5.5-22 vs 8-32)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Decision time..(NF 5.5-22 vs 8-32)

Hello All

Has anyone tried the 6x to 20X Leupold LR with the 50MM Objective and side wheel focus?
The field of view is like the 5.5X Nightforce being only .5X more and the price is not that high for the quality.

I have one and it works just fine for me.
It also is less then half the cost of the 5.5 to 22X Nightforce NXS. You can find them new for around $600.00 or less plus you receive a lifetime warrenty and the scope is made in the USA.
I should buy another one at that rate?

Just a thought.

DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

I routinely see USED 5-22x NXS scopes in the $800-900 range.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 01-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Sr90,
where do you see these used ones at for that price?

Darryl,
seeings how eyes are very different sometimes, and many people swear by their findings when viewing through optics, can you tell us how many people you have met that have given up the NF for the Leopold, and the other way around too, just for that reason alone?

I read somewhere here that they put the crosshair in the first focal plane on new ones to eliminate the shift from power changes. I wonder if this includes the 6-20 LR you use or just another certain model? Anyone know?

I have never purchaced a TOP end 30mm tube Leopold. They make the Tacticals, LR, LPS and maybe other different types and I never quite understood all the differences between them all, some seem redundant, so I have been a little dicouraged from buying into one so far. Can anyone make sense of the different lines offered, break it down so to speak?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:41 PM

First, I prefer the Leupold over the Nightforce. I use the 3.5x10 M1. You can get any of the 50mm leupolds with M1 turrets from Premier reticles. The M1 turrets are VERY repeatable.

Second, I did some homework on the POI shift. If you sight in on max power, the POI shift is less than 1/4 MOA with the scope turned all the way down to minimum power. How much is a 1/4 MOA going to effect you at minimum power?
What powers are you using for extreme ranges?

I've used Nightforce and Leupolds and I don't know what all the nightforce hoopla is about.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

John, how is the M1 turret diferent than any of others Leopold has, is this their target turret or is it different as well?

Did you find the Leopold clearer, brighter, sharper or something else?

What's not to like about the NF?

I think they are a top quality scope myself with all the features I like too...

Hoopla?

Repeatability, etched glass reticle, tougher than snot, vivid and logical reading dials, 56mm obj, 30mm tube, lighted reticle, nice variety of reticles, great customer service, big positive and negative G ratings, lots of moa adjustment and great glass too.

It's really no wonder why a lot of guys like them so much in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:42 PM

Let me re-phrase my turret statement.....
My leupold with the M1 turrets is very repeatable......I have never used the Target Knobs so I can't compare. The turrets are great for dialing a lot of MOA because it has those marker lines to let you know how many full revolutions you have made. They are also very sharp clicks.

I think the leupold glass if fine. I don't think is as good as the zeiss or Swarovski....but it is good enough for me.

As far as nightforce, I agree it is an excellent scope. I personally would prefer the Swarovski with the adjustable objective for $1200 if I was spending nightforce dollars....but I also do not need that much MOA....Swarovski does suck with the MOA.

I just think for the price of a leupold compared to a nightforce....the nightforce is not that much better that I would spend nearly double. Maybe if I needed all that MOA.....but if I did I could use a sloped base.

I will tell you the one thing that makes me envy the nightforce over the leupold is that NP-R2 reticle. That is beautiful!

I don't care about the ranging, just holdovers and windage. I do wish leupold had a similar reticle. Premier reticle can only do full lines which would make it as cluttered as the horus reticle.

I guess what I meant by hoopla was the price relative to leupold.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

The 4-16 PV Swarovski has 72 MOA of elevation (plenty to get you out past 1000 yards) I know 'cause I had one before I replaced it with my USoptics. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Honestly if you are only shooting out to 1000 yards then I would get the Leupold Mark 4 10x M3.... or the Leupold 3-10x M3. They are good scopes, plus I love the BDC knobs, they likely won't be dead on but I love being able to go from 100-1000 yards with one turn of the knob.