Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Darrell Holland's ART reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

There must be something about it that people like because we have installed quite a few in S&B's for Darrell.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

I think it's 1 of the more practical hunting reticles out there due to the fact that it only provides 2 MOA either side of vertical axis for windage. IMO that's about as far as i'd wanna aim off game for wind, and it keeps me honest. It does provide for a lot of ranging flexibility tho. If u wanna use milliradian, then it's there, if u wanna use MOA it's there too. Darrell probably oughtta advertise that, tho admittedly it doesn't have a lot of use for game, since few would actually apply it.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 AM
SPONSOR

ART reticle

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the interesting comments regarding our reticles. Here is our thought process regarding the MIL-MOA design.

We can all agree (well most of us) that the mil-radian scale is here to stay as far as rangfinding goes. We have the Mil-dot Master, a calculator and a host of other offerings ( Data Cards etc.) to determine range using the angular projection of mil-radian.

One can teach the average shooter to range using the mil-radian scale in in less than an hour and he will be reasonably proficient in its use. But what happens if the calculator, mil-dot master, PDA or data card becomes lost, or MURPHY interviens? Not many shooters can do the math in their head to determine range to the target? By using the MOA scale it is simple division that most shooters can do. Ever need an ACE up your sleeve when in the field? The MOA scale provides that ACE.

Shooting to MOA correction is MUCH easier to teach and understand, since the average shooter has used the MOA increment for most of, if not all of his life. The MOA scale offers a finer angular correction than 1/0 mil for those highly refined shooters. Having the reticle speak the same language as the elevation/windage knob makes for fast and easy shooting. Having 24 MOA to shoot to, gives the shooter a far greater range using the reticle than 5 MILs ( 17.25 MOA).

For those individuals who still disagree with our concept, we will be offering THE ULTIMATE MIL RETICLE ( UMR ) in the new Leupold 6.5x20 and 4.5x14 Mark 4 scopes. It will feature 5 mils above the horizontal wire and 10 mils below in 1/2 mil graduations. Mil windage and lead bars will be 2 mils in width with 1/2 mil graduations all numbered like our MIL-MOA reticle. These scope reticles will be in the FFP and are calibrated on any magnification setting. The mil-radian crowd loved shooting the prototype and yes the w/e knobs are graduated in 1/10 mil increments.

Hopefully I've cleared up some of the reasons behind our reticle design. If it wasn't for new ideas we'd still be using the German Post or a standard crosswire? Take a walk to the edge of the world, the view is great!

Most importantly, shoot straight with whatever method you choose?

Thanks for the opportunity to share our ideas.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland
Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
SPONSOR

Darrell,
Even though I am not a mil guy, it is neat to see you providing the Mil reticle for those who prefer it the most.

Still love that etched numbered MOA reticle--It sure avoids confusion in the field.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
SPONSOR

ART Reticles

XPHUNTER

You bet, having a numbered reticle makes for good proof shooting. At our long range shooting school we call it shooting by the numbers... With our Advanced Data Card software one can shoot any angle, have mil-subtensions, actual range, drop, drift, all calculated in MOA and or MILS based on time of flight and gavity. Its a GREAT system...

I'm very excited to see the public acceptance regarding our Ultimate Mil Reticle ( UMR )design. It provides the Mil shooter with more benefits than any current Mil graduated reticle on the market. We've also re-designed the windage and elevation knobs on the Leupold Mark 4 series of rifles scopes, a much needed improvement! They are faster and easier to read. They add a touch of class to the finished scope.

Best of luck in your shooting, congrats to your boy shooting so well in Missoula!

Sincerely,

Darrell Holland
Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Darrell, can your MOA reticle be installed in a Nightforce Scope?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Darrell, can your MOA reticle be installed in a Nightforce Scope?
I know they will be able to be put in the new first focal plane scopes that will be on the scene sometime this year, but I am not sure about SFP scopes.