Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Darrell Holland's ART reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

Whatever floats your boat I guess.....For me the MP-8 in the IOR works and is on every long range rig I own.Right wrong or otherwise it works for me and that what matters!!!
The biggest thing is to use one system,know it well and use it to its fullest.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Well the DVD was a good laugh. They make dialing sound so difficult. I'm getting the impression that they are marketing this for people shooting out to 500 yards. There was never any mention of changing drop charts for different conditions or even field verification. This may be commons sense but to someone just begining it may not be so clear.

Ernie, I'm glad you like yours, the numbered hashes are nice. I find dialing easy and I don't use the reticle hashes (NPR2) very often, mostly stuff between 0 - 6 MOA.

Oh and I see Berger is on board with them.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
SPONSOR

MagMan,
Yes, I saw the DVD about twoo weeks ago. I even emailed Darrell after I saw it, and mentioned that it was basic, and he didn't even deal with how the reticle can be used for wind. He responded and told me it was intentionally basic to give newcomers to the sport a basic view, which to me makes sense. He also said he re-evaluates his products from time to time and he welcomes hearing the pros and cons of it. He said when someone contacts him and in interested in the reticle he gives them more information. Since a software package Sierra's and his own software comes with the reticle, he doesn't subscribe to the doctrine of one setting/drop chart for all temps/altitudes/BP's, etc.

As far as dialing being difficult, I used to be intimidated with it and was far more comfortable with reticle use for quite a few years. If I would have had a reticle back then in 1.5 MOA increments, I may not have switched. I now dial confidently, but it didn't use to be that way.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

For the price he is asking for it I would get the new NF reticle with MOA hash marks. It just seems eaiser and less confusing.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Still cheap here as long as you stay WELL away from the coast.

[/ QUOTE ] - You bet °°°

I would not criticize the Holland reticle more than any of the very common scopes with mil. reticles ( mil dot, TMR and others)and MOA adjustments.- so that reticle just follows the same path.

Now my opinion has always been to use a homogeneous system: mil reticle/mil adjustment, or MOA/MOa.-mixing just makes it more difficult.

I am used to ranging in meters, using mils. becomes much easier and even with the 1/10 mil. adjustments in my scopes I can fulfill my curiosity and easily figure how much elevation the bullet is getting when making an adjustment (i.e. 25 "clicks" at 500 m.-is the same as 25 cm. high at 100, or 125 at 500).-
Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would not criticize the Holland reticle more than any of the very common scopes with mil. reticles ( mil dot, TMR and others)and MOA adjustments.- so that reticle just follows the same path.

[/ QUOTE ]

šlg, perhaps you're right, everyone has there own way for compensating bullet drop & drift and trying to get someone to change could be a task.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, you're right. That is so common and this certainly wouldn't be any worse. I'm sure many don't want to change away from MOA elevation clicks and if that's the case this reticle would work great.

Also, I hadn't noticed it's offered in the FFP for Leupold scopes. For anybody looking for a FFP scope over 10X, the choices are very limited. Another choice available for less than USO and S&B prices is a great thing.