Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Darrell Holland's ART reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

Here is a link.

Anyone ever seen this?

Ranging in mills and doping in moa? Does anyone find this easier? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

This is a quote out of there brochure they handed out at the SCI show.

"Advanced Reticle Technology takes the guesswork out of long-range shooting." Any of you guys "guess"? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I may understand more if I can get around to watching the DVD. Although it will take a lot to make me a believer. Who knows maybe this is a better mousetrap.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

I believe too many folk get HUNG UP on this. And amongst the worse are the inventors of SPECIAL reticles.

I'm not saying they're dopes - but when they find something that works for them they seem to assume it is the mutts nuts and get all umpty when nobody wants to play.

The simple fact is that SIMPLE is better. The important factor imo is that you find something you dont need to think with. For me that has proven to be Miliradians.

I now live and work in a metric environment. Is this a factor? - I dont know. But I dont even thing in terms of distance anymore - I think % of angular displacement - i.e 1/3 miliradian etc. my $.02
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Bronze Member

Chris in Madrid,
Now how is anyone going to sell their new wiz bangs with that “if it ain’t broke…” attitude? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Does ranging with an MOA reticle instead of Mils make sense… well, it saves you one calculation. A little homework and a ballistics program make it a mute point, and I wouldn’t spend the extra pesetas on one.

Chris, I spent my high school years in Southern Spain (Costa Del Sol). That was from 1976 to 1980, when Spain was still a little backwards. It seems like just another expensive destination no that they've entered the European Union.

TAC
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

I think it's dumb enough already to mix Mil reticles with MOA turrets...stick both systems into the same reticle? I'll pass, thanks. Numbers don't scare me so I can manage with most anything OK, but if left to me I'd chose either MOA reticle with MOA turrets or Mil reticle with Mil turrets before any combination of the two. A reticle that used both would be last on the list.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Post deleted by Len Backus

Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 AM
SPONSOR

I have, one and it is less confusing (mil/MOA)in use that it may appear.
I rarely mil range, but I like the capability for shots under 500 yards (more likley under 400 yds). When using is for shooting everything is in MOA. My internal adjustment is MOA also. Except for me making a foolish drop chart of my own, on one occassion (the way I printed it out) it has been the easiest reticle I have ever used.
Since it lists the MOA to the left of the reticle inside the scope (x-hair going down), the confusion of counting dashes and or dots is not there.
I have had Leupold's TMR and both of burris's reticles and I like the ART better hands down.
I intend to get another one
Old 02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Does ranging with an MOA reticle instead of Mils make sense… well, it saves you one calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]TAC - may save you one - It adds one for me. Mil reticles - mil clicks - so easy.

Make no bones - Spain still is a bit backward in ESPAÑA PROFUNDA - at the moment the stuff on the news sounds closer to "Deliverance" - well except for banjo playing Albinos.

Still cheap here as long as you stay WELL away from the coast.