Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Custom turrets for VX-3 CDS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Custom turrets for VX-3 CDS?

For sure, that isnt good. I will have to do some testing with mine and see. Maybe weekend after next I can get out.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

I think I've decided to try something else for the time being. My factory CDS turret has MOA marks on it. So I put my info into Bergers ballistics calculator and had it give me drop in MOA out to 1000 yards with my load (using factory info as that's all I have at this time). I converted the drop to MOA and # of 1/4 MOA clicks so I have a "reference" to help get me on paper at the different yardages.

I am going to use this reference to see what it actually takes in MOA adjustments to get me zeroed at different yardages. Then I may just throw a piece of tape on there and make my own marks and use them for a couple months. Then once I'm confident in the marks and they've been proven I'm going to send the taped dial in with additional hard data and have a turret made. Who it will be made by will be determined between now and then. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Why not just use the moa turret that comes with it & use a drop chart attached to the stock of your rifle ?

Then when you change your load, your location dramatically or put the scope on another rifle, etc, you are GTG, once validated.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

I would go with kenton they are in the sole business of making turrents. I called few weeks ago and they was backed up but for additional $30.00 they would make one in 6 days so i paid the price. They was nice to deal with iactually gave them my info from my exbal program in moa i wanted. They delivered on time and tommorow i will try out.
mike
Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

I gave leupold all my info. I gave them avg speed from my chrony and all elevation and avg temp i wanted. I just shot my rifle out to 900 yds which is all one revolution of dial will give me and the turret worked perfectly. I was able to maintain .5 moa groups at all ranges. I started at 600 yds and dialed out 100 yds at a time with one shot at each range then started back at six hundred and dialed out again with one shot at each range. i kept repeating this procedure and was extremely happy with bullet placement and repeatability.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

Thats great glad to hear it worked for you.
mike