Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Custom Turrets from Nikon and CTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Custom Turrets from Nikon and CTS

Jack, Thanks for the write up. I am following up to make sure the confusion is a one time thing. While I don't have custom turret's yet, just haven't ordered one yet, a few friends who do have had excellent long range accuracy. As you know and stated very well, the results will only be as good as the data you can provide.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman940 View Post
Jack, Thanks for the write up. I am following up to make sure the confusion is a one time thing. While I don't have custom turret's yet, just haven't ordered one yet, a few friends who do have had excellent long range accuracy. As you know and stated very well, the results will only be as good as the data you can provide.
Thanks Bman,

Said perfectly.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
Joseph,

I am fairly verse in the differences between FFP and SFP. What do you see as a FFP advantage?

Realize I have all the other toys.
The advantage I like is that if i don't have my laser range finder with me (or it stops working or it is snowing) I can use the hash marks on the reticule to estimate the range of the animal I am hunting at any magnification I wish. I do not have to adjust the power to the one that works without using any math. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

joseph

PS: It makes it a little more convent for me & it is cool to zoom in and have everything in proportion to each other.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Late season/doe season opened today. So, I finally had a chance to use the CTS labeled turret.

I was with my dad, as we both had one license left to fill. We were camped at some hay stacks that the deer were hitting hard. My dad had a clear shot and I was on the wrong side of everything. He shot his doe at about 25 yards. She ran about 30 yards and fell. The remaining deer were on a full run by the time I could get into a position to see them.

Figuring we would have to setup somewhere else to fill my tag, we retrieved his deer. Hauled his deer to the back of the truck and did the field dressing. As I am headed to get in the truck a look down the field and there are 3 deer feeding. Still having about 40 minutes of good light, I used my rangefinder to check distance.

They were between 343 and 345. I got my Savage back out of the case, yeah I had already put it away. Load a round and take position to take the shot. Dial in the distance and nothing for the wind that was blowing from directly behind me. Bang/flop.

When I got to the doe, she had a nice little hole right where I had put the crosshairs.

The CTS labels by custometurretsystems.com worked exactly as expected.

As I said before, give these guys a try if you are considering a custom turret, but don't want to spend $100+. $20 and quick, friendly service.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Well you sold me on a trial run of the CTS labels. Just got them today and they look good they fit perfect, their calculations added up perfectly out to 975yrds, so the only question is how long will they last? I do not know how long they have bean around so if anyone has tested these in weather or exposer I would love to here about it. Otherwise time will tell. In either case, thanks for pointing them out.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Wish I could answer that, but give me a while and I will.