Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Crosshair levelling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Crosshair levelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
I know, I've wondered that too. Plus some action don't have a good flat spot to place a level.
I have one of these
Wheeler Engineering Level-Level-Level Scope Crosshair Leveling Tool
The race way level is pretty handy but the level for the scope is a joke, turn it 180deg and it conflicts with it's self
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe

Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
I Think the bigger question has to with the gun...where is the best part to get a level reading....scope base??? or a flat spot on the receiver?

The action rails above the mag are machined true with the bedding screws and the scope
base screws. The set of levels that I have are designed for this and fit inside the action
on the rails.

I like this because it is consistant and the rifle, scope bases, scope rings and the scope do
not interfere with its use.

On a Remington or it's clones there is no other place to place a level properly.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

There are two unique & separate items to consider with level:
The elevation adjustment, or the crosshair (if the scope even has one).
Both are scope leveling to one plan or the other.
Gun cant itself doesn't matter beyond whatever is comfortable & consistent in use.

So all this leveling of rails, rings & bases is of no value at all..
Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Being a machinist, I use LSS Precision Machinery levels in 6" lengths. I put the rifle in a Tipton gun vise with a level on the scope rail/receiver to level it, then I set the scope in the lapped rings and level it with a level across the elevation turret and secure the rings. LSS levels are accurate to 0.005 in 12 ".

Finally, I attach a side mount spirit level to the tube, insuring the scope is level beforehand.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Neither scope rail nor turret top directly correspond to either crosshair, or elevation adjustment.

If you use bipods in the field(you really should) get the swivel models.
Mount one of these to the scope: Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
Of all the fancy levels out there, only this one can be seen straight on, by the shooting eye, from your aiming position.

Try this;
Using a gun hold that is comfortable and consistent for you(this will not likely be as mounted in a vise), rotate your scope in loose rings until the top of the elevation turret is spirit level(only a baseline).
-Now, if you use your reticle for hold-offs, you can use any downrange plumb method mentioned, finely rotate scope for crosshair plumb, tighten rings, turn the ScopLevel to plumb & tighten it. You're done.
-If you dial your elevation, you might not be done, but at another baseline.
Shoot a ~40moa plumb line while using your ScopLevel and verify shooting/adjustment is plumb Up & down. If not, you can rotate the ScopLevel that tiny amount to shoot a plumb line. This time you're done.

Now the ScopLevel, mounted to your scope, is your standard.
You can move the scope from gun to safe to gun & back, flip up the ScopLevel, shoulder, rotate scope to spirit level, tighten scope rings, find/set your zero.
That easy from now on -with that scope, having it's ScopLevel previously set.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

All of my target stands are square and I level the crosshairs in relation to them when on the bench, but the real test is when I move the elevation 15 to 20 MOA. If the POI won't track a plum verticle line, then something is off. This has to be done in a windless condition of course. You can also check this with windage adjustment, but if verticle is ok, then horizontal should be too.
db
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhostler View Post
All of my target stands are square and I level the crosshairs in relation to them when on the bench, but the real test is when I move the elevation 15 to 20 MOA. If the POI won't track a plum verticle line, then something is off. This has to be done in a windless condition of course. You can also check this with windage adjustment, but if verticle is ok, then horizontal should be too.
db
you are meaning at 1 set range not over various ranges correct?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe