Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Crosshair Leveling Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:38 AM

Crosshair Leveling Tool

I was looking at my February sales flyer from Midway USA and saw a crosshair leveling tool by Wheeler Engineering. I looks like it has a level for both the rifle and the scope. Has anyone used one of these when mounting a scope? Are they any good? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Crosshair Leveling Tool

blong
I have never used the device that you mention, but have been a freak about being certain that my crosshairs are level and perpendicular. I usually hang a plumb-bob at about twenty-five yards, then use a bubble level on the rails of the action and level the rifle up. I then line the verticle cross hair up with the plumb-bob line, tighten the scope up and shoot. I'm open for another method of doing it though and will look at the tool you mention. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

My technique isn't much different, I just use a longer range. I post a large white piece of paper on the 200yd board. With a 3 foot level I draw a fat black line (plumb) down the middle of the paper.

I settle the rifle in the bags and level the rifle across whatever flat that seems appropiate. Sometimes the scope base is all you have but it seems to work well. B-Square makes a tiny bubble level that fits on the base and can be left in place while hunting.

Then I just rotate the scope until the verticle crosshair perfectly aligns with the black line down range.

I've tried the "ScopeLevel" and didn't find it to work well for me. By the way, the scope level works off the flat top of the ring base also.

Just my 2 cents - VH
Old 03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

That is probably the best approach, but there is nothing wrong with tossing a scope level on your scope and arbitrarly assigning it to level - then aligning your crosshairs with the scope level - as long as you shoot consistently in the with the bubble level - level - you should be fine. For a reality check, walk up the elevation and you should get a vertical line. the Scope Level Site is excellent.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

What about epoxing this $4 bubble level to my picitinny rail? Sinclair scope levels
Old 03-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Correction

I incorrectly used "ScopeLevel" in my previous post. The tool that I was referring to was the "Reticle Leveler". It didn't work well for me.

I also have the ScopeLevel which works pretty well when installed precisely.

VH
Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Correction

...lately I've used the "Precision Sighting Level" from www.lyon-inc.com pretty happy with the install fixture & the scopelevel appears to be very good quality...