Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

a couple scope mount questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member
Re: a couple scope mount questions?

You dont need any special rings or base to shoot to 1200 yards. Dont care what anybody says, I dont have either and I get to 1200 yards with a MK4, and I still have at least a full turn on my dial. I dont like them canted bases, I heard where you wont be aable to make close shots because its so high. Thats my opinion. With a 200 zero, the 300 RUM shoots so damn flat, you dont need any special base, thats all I'm saying. I use the standard Leupld PWR, with there steel cross slot rings with absolutely no problems to 1200 yards. $150 for a base, jeeeeeesus. Not worth it when you dont really need it.

Unread 02-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Bronze Member

Farrell, TPS and Warne all make cheaper bases and rings than Badger. They appear to be as good, but you will have to decide that.
Unread 02-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Remember, aluminum expands and contracts at a different rate than steel does. This can cause a problem when your rig gets hot. Not a huge problem, just a 3/4 moa or so which at the ranges you are talking about can be significant. I'm of the mindset that I buy the badger or warne bases and leupold mark 4 rings on my LONG range rigs. my 223 has Leupolds 20 moa long range base and ring set, I think they're discontinued now. I've used mark 4 bases and QRW leupold rings with great success as well. I use QRW on my 300 yard stuff so I can change to night vision in the field.
I've heard the farrell and nightforce bases are good stuff. I don't buy cheap stuff and expect good results, like putting a $10 weaver base on a $3000 bench gun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Beware the fury of a patient man....

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
Unread 02-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the info.

Meister.....been wanting to talk to you, but couldn't pm you or email you, don't know why, just wouldn't let me.

I love suppressed stuff also, currently I just have an AAC m4-2000 on my varmint rig, and a AAC pilot for the .22's. looking into building a 300 whisper, and would like to get a .30 can to switch back and forth from the RUM to whisper. could I get your email, or something...would like to hear what you have to say about night vision also. I just started looking for a night scope, or goggles, don't know, that arena is so new to me?

thanks for chiming in....Jon