Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Correctly mounting a scope on a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Correctly mounting a scope on a rifle

Pete,

I have actually never mounted a scope like this. The last time my scope was mounted, it was moutnted by the guys at store where I bought both my rifle and NF scope. They used a couple of different levels and a scope zero tool and did a fair job (I watched the whole process). The next time I mount a scope, which should be fairly soon, I will do it just like I described to you.

Not sure what you mean by "seated close to alinged"? Here are my thoughts on it... the closer you can get your bore to the plumbline, the less error you might incur by eyeballing the plumbline's disection of the bore. i.e., if your muzzle was right up against the plumb line, you would have virtually no error in plumbing the center of your bore. If you could focaus your scope enough to adequately see the plumbline to this close distance you could extremely close to aligning your windage reticle to the center of your bore, if not dead on. You would also plumb the reticle in the process, making it perpendicular to the bore.

When doing the shooting test. I would fire at least 3 shots on zero and 3 shots at 20 MOA (or more) high, to make sure that if there is a descrepency, it is not the single bullet which might be a little off.

Hope this helps,

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 06-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

After years and many different ways of mounting a scope I have settled on this way for the last couple of years

Get and EXD thingamabob

BROWNELLS: EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT: EXD ENGINEERING

which is very well made and mine checked out perfectly level

The twin V-notches center it on your rifle barrel and your scope

this will align the bore and the scope while the rifle is in a vise. When the bubble is level then the rifle is completely uncanted.

Next while the rifle is still in the vise aim it out the door at a distant level object; 4' level on a fence, weighted rope hanging from a tree or the edge of a building you have verified level (for instance). With the EXD bubble level, rotate the scope in the rings until the reticle is level with the distant object. Now you have to tighten the rings with the EXD level and the reticle level which is not an easy thing to do but can be done with a lot of patience.

That will level the reticle and I have yet to level one this way and get to the range and feel like it is a little off. That happened quite often with the shoulder-it/adjust-it, shoulder-it/adjust-it method.

Now that you have the reticle level when the rifle is uncanted it is important to be able to duplicate that in the field. The best anti-cant device I have found is the ScopLevel

Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device

that will fold down when not in use and is visible without loosing your cheek weld on the stock

FWIW
Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

Collectively, your blood is worth bottling.

MR, the issue I have is that with the Lynx mounts, it is possible to move the scope mounts sideways at right angles to the rifle bore. This then can put the scope out of vertical alignment with the bore, but still aligned if you get my drift.
However, Woodsy has just given me something to do. Even though I am a farmer, I actually do quite a bit of machining and welding of aluminium from time to time. The device he has sent me pictures of is not hard to make and is really clever. Took a few secs to work it out, but that will solve the above problem as I explained.
I have also been doing a little more research around the site as you suggested and once again am beginning to get a good grasp on how all this comes together.
I actually got hold of my spirirt level yesterday which has a laser in the end with the ability to give a flat knife edge beam. I used it to check the scope and found it as near as damnit to bang on. Shooting will give me the final answer.
Tremendous, Thanks guys,

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,

That is an ingenious looking contraption. Why didn't I think of it and get it patented?

Since I dont have access to a machine shop, and if I did I think I would do more damage than good, I will do it with the plumb line.

Keep us posted on your progress and results, and I will do the same.

Cheers,

-MR
Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Bronze Member

Okay, the weather down here has been absolutely diabolical,strong winds, wild rain storms and a decent wind chill factor.
Funny I was relegated to the shed this arvo. Took me about 3/4 of an hour to make the backing plate and the small section which sits on the scope. made it from 6mm x 100mm flat ali plate. Could not find a small string spirit level, so used a mammoth spirit level instead.
Would you believe the thing actually works !!
If you are at all handy, I think two pieces of 1" x 1/2" with a piece welded (or bolted ) across the top and bottom holding them together but with a slot gap for the bolt to run would also work. All you would have to do is to place the two 1"x 1/2"pieces back to back and cut them at an angle to get the 'v' to fit the barrel.
But then again, if the device is only a few bob, why worry. As for me, I have never seen anything like that in my life, and the real satisfaction in all of this is making something like this and then having it work right through to the final outcome which is being able to confidently hit the target -if you're good enough !
Not good to be so enthusiastic though, I am in the early stages of buying a 12 - 42 x 56 night force scope with Mildot reticle. Not the NXS as they are way beyond my reach, and besides, I don't think I can honestly shoot well enough to be able to justify one of those.
(They do cost over here!)

Great outcome once again,

Cheers,

Pete.