Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Correctly mounting a scope on a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Bronze Member

Correctly mounting a scope on a rifle

I have been putting scopes on rifles for about 40 years. This is not to say that I have it right, and now that I am shooting further than 300 yards, thought I would throw this in and get some advice. (Previous threads have been a brilliant learning experience !)
I normally mount the scope on the rifle, then sitting back a little, take an imaginary line through the vertical cross hair extended down to the centre of the bolt (as viewed from the rear.) My .223 and .308 both have Lynx mounts which can be adjusted to enable scope alignment.
This, by the way, is before you actually start dialling turrets.

Can anybody tell me if this is the correct method, or is there a better way to ensure alignment from the start ? (We gotta keep it simple !)

I tried a bore sighter years ago without much success and it was that exercise that led me to discover my current method.

Cheers,

Pete.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Correctly mounting a scope on a rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb View Post
I have been putting scopes on rifles for about 40 years. This is not to say that I have it right, and now that I am shooting further than 300 yards, thought I would throw this in and get some advice. (Previous threads have been a brilliant learning experience !)
I normally mount the scope on the rifle, then sitting back a little, take an imaginary line through the vertical cross hair extended down to the centre of the bolt (as viewed from the rear.) My .223 and .308 both have Lynx mounts which can be adjusted to enable scope alignment.
This, by the way, is before you actually start dialling turrets.

Can anybody tell me if this is the correct method, or is there a better way to ensure alignment from the start ? (We gotta keep it simple !)

I tried a bore sighter years ago without much success and it was that exercise that led me to discover my current method.

Cheers,

Pete.
peterb

I'm no expert, but one way to line up the cross is to drop a plumbbob on a colored string, level your action and then look at the string from 100m or what ever distance you want. works very well to get the cross straight with the action.
If it is a pricey scope I always lap the rings.

Cam

Last edited by CAM; 06-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

here you go . this is the best info I know of . Jim

Reticle Perpendicularity
Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

I had actually watched a demo video on the Horus Vision site and that was much the same as you two have suggested.
With Lynx mounts, you actually have an allen screw on each side of the vertical mount to tighten it onto the small poles which come up from base mount . Depending on how you tighten these screws dictates how the scope aligns with the rifle. I can literally have the scope sitting at about 5 degrees off alignment with the bore of the rifle. I can also have it sitting parallel to the bore, but not necessarily vertically over it.
That is what I am trying to resolve.
Short of measuring their position with a vernier, I can only use the visual appraisal method and want to know if that is sufficiently accurate.

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

That's a good article, and I would use Cam's method first, the shoot the plumb line to confirm the alignment. When mounting the scope I would place the rifle as close to the plumb line as I could and still focus the scope on it. Then look through the bore and align it so it splits the bore as well as you can with your eye. Then adjust the widage knob until the reticle aligns with the plumb bob. This should get you extremely close if not dead on. Not only should this get you perpendicular to the scope but it should also get your windage very close to zero.

Just my $.02

-MR
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks MR. I will be doing just that.
Pray tell, good sir, do you know if the scope is not seated close to aligned, does the reticle movement actually straighten it out for accurate all range shooting ?

Cheers,

Pete
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,
I asked the same question months ago, and I got very interesting answers. A fine and very rich discussion developed between members on how to do it better. I learned a lot reading it. Give it a look, it might help you.
The thread is called: Leveling your scope, look for it through the search option.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by HUAINAMACHERO; 07-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.