Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Converting yards into clicks ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

Converting yards into clicks ????

I just took a long range seminar that was very informative. I learned how to use the mill dots to mil an object (with a known target size) do the math and figure out how many yards away it is. I am so excited to have this new skill, only one problem I forget to ask the question. How do you convert the yards into clicks on the scope? I want to make a chart for my rifle so I can do the math, figure out the yards then look at the chart to know how many clicks to adjust the scope for the distance.
So i'm throwing the question out there. How do I convert yards into clicks? My rifle is zeroed at 100 yards my target is at 200 yards my scopes adjustment is each click is 1/8" @ 100 yards. How many clicks do I adjust for 200 yards? If there is a chart already on the market that I could just bye that would be cool to. Any info would be helpful.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Converting yards into clicks ????

I hope they also went over laser ranging, and use of ballistic software.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Bronze Member

Yes we did go over all of that. But I must not of missed the part when he was talking about knowing how many clicks to adjust your turret after you know the yards.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

You need to purchase a good ballistic program or use one of the online systems. I think Berger has one that is a free download.

If you just fool with the ballistic software many questions will pop up and as you answer those the adjustment of the scope will become the simple part. With all due respect...you are on the low end of the learning curve, but it's not brain surgery. Good luck!!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

A mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards, 7.2 inches at 200 yards. Your scope is 1/4 inch (iphy) at 200
yards, so 7.2 divided by .25 is 29 clicks. Now if your scope is 1/8 moa it will be slightly
different. A mil is 3.438 moa at 100 yards. 7.2 / 1.047 inches (1 moa @ 100) = 6.87679
x 4 = 27.5 clicks , take your pic, 27 or 28.

Now, instead of using a mildot, use a moa or iphy reticle to match your turrets (clicks)
or get a scope that has .1 mil turrets and a mil reticle. You will save a lot of converting.
Or get a pda or itouch and put an app like "shooter" in it, it will tell you all three at
the same time. And for ten bucks, cheaper than a half a box of shells.

A mildot master may also have the conversions to moa, I don't know, you would have to
check.

But first you are going to have to know what your scope clicks are in the real world.
Put a Yard stick straight up and down at exactly one hundred yards from the end of
the scope, no fudging. Mount the gun (or scope) in a gun vise and start clicking your
turrets and counting. Find out how many clicks it takes to move up the yard stick and
record your measurements. Scopes are commonly off. Yours may move 1.1 inches in
8 clicks or .95 inches, but you need to know. Then your are ready to dial in true amount for your rig. Otherwise you are going to spend some ammo correcting what
you could correct on paper.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

stlbndr,

Before we had ballistic programs, we had to just shoot at a distance and measure the drop from the aiming point.

The key here is to use a tall taget and aim at the top (paste an aiming point on the top edge of the target). If the range is beyond 400 yds, with a 100 yd zero; you'll probably want to attach a surveyors stick with an aiming point on it (so you have enough room for the bullet to drop and still land on the paper). A tall peice of cardboard works too.

Ranging with the reticle will get you close enough out to 500 yds with a flat shooting cartridge most of the time. The key is knowing the real true size of the target. Laser rangefinders work much more accurately if you have time to use one.

Once you know how many inches low you are hitting at any given distance, then you can figure the clicks involved.

Example: 25 inches low at 500 yds..........25 X 8 (8 clicks per inch/100) = 200.
Now, take the 200 and divide by 5 (for 500 yds)..........200/5=40 clicks up.

50 inches low at 600 yds..........50X8=400, 400/6=67 clicks up.

This should work for you until you can get a ballistic program or enough data to use one.
This should also get you close enough to fine tune your click count. Keep in mind that not all scopes move the poi the exact amount anticipated.

Good Luck,

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

There sure are a lot of good things to be said about the new Ballistic programs. Myself, I have found It a lot easier to make my own charts by shooting for actual results. The difference that I find is that it is much better to make charts conform to actual results than to try to make the results conform to a program. I don't click because one of the things that I do not like is shooting a scope that is not optically centered. Mil Rad dots are already very accurate and don't need much help at all. I'm pretty sure my ideas are a lot different than a lot of folks. I keep my scopes optically centered and on my rifles that are actually long range rifles I use rings and mounts that bring the center dot to an appropriate elevation setting for the rifles intended yardages and then use the dots. No fuss no hassle, its already in the dots.