Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Conversion from mil-dot to MOA on IOR MP-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Conversion from mil-dot to MOA on IOR MP-8

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Mils, we don't come up with the knob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unlles you have a metric scope <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Metric scopes are actually pretty cool. I would still bring the scope up and use the dots for aiming point, but you could dial in the decimal part of the comup.

So for example if the come up was 4.6 Mils, I would use the fourth dot as my aiming point and dial in the .6 mils with my knob.

Problem is, you are limited in the number of dots available. But there is hope by using the Horus reticle.(Shown here below.)

Old 03-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

I know a lot of guys don't like the reticle because it's so complicated, or maybe "cluttered" is a better word. But it certainly looks "exacting" to me. I mean a fine grid like this should provide for a very precise reference, correct??
Old 03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

That Horus reticle has a number of benefits, other than working with their software. Now the PDA software in conjunction with the Weather meter will give you a recommendation for a hold over in a 10 mph wind at a range of 923 yards (Data from LRF) of say 9.3 of elevation and 3.2 mils of windage, you just put that point on the matrix on the target and squeeze the trigger. A miss provides information about point of impact and prepares for the second shot, to wit:

If you can see the point of impact on the reticle, then you put that point on the matrix on the target and you are virtually guaranteed a second round hit. This is true of any reticle, but the benefits here accrue from the ability to precisely pin point the location of the hit.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS. A lot of what happens with this reticle, of course assumes shooting from some kind of rest for stability. Oh, and the knobs on the Horus scopes are calibrated in Mils, which should make our METRIC friends giddy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I also note that the cross and the larger dots below it are reflective material which are lit at night by the lit reticle mechanisms.

The reticle grows and shrinks because it is front focal plane. As you reduce the power more lines are shown, down to line 27 if I remember correctly. This alows for pot shots at extremely long range, which after all is what we are about here, isn't it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (27 mils of come up will get you well in excess of 1000 yards for most rounds.)

[ 03-31-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Bronze Member

SSC earlier models had much thicker lines and it was more cluttered ...looks like Horus vision is refining their reticles they are on the 3rd gen reticles now..still allot of shouters don't like them while others swear by them..i would like to put my eye behind one.I have the spotter with the horus reticle and i think its pretty good i like it
it can work with any mil dot equipped scope really good...
Old 04-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

You know i called Dennis Sammutt about that system several years back, and was gonna purchase one but never got around to it-- soon i hope. I know the reticle is etched on in the 1st focal plane. So you think it's the cat's meow (or should i say the prairie dog's bark) DMCI?? I've also heard the software is lacking, but sound like your experience with it is good, ehhh?