Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Conversion from mil-dot to MOA on IOR MP-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: Conversion from mil-dot to MOA on IOR MP-8

For those US Americans and some Europeans who cannot visulise in Meters, the Mildot system is not unit specific.

A miliradian also substends

1 yard @ 1000 yards.
1 foot @ 1000 feet.

Ranging is similar:

A 1.8 meter target measures 2 Milliradians when viewed through the scope.

Range= (1.8/2) x 1000 Meters
= 900 Meters

A 2 yard target measures 4 Milliradians when viewed through the scope.

Range= (2/4) x 1000 Yards
= 500 Yards

A 6 foot target measures 4 Milliradians when viewed through the scope.

Range= (6/4) x 1000 Feet
= 1500 Feet

It is those MOA and Inch turret adjustments make a mess of these systems.

Rgds

Old 03-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think it's like most anything out there. Mil-dots/MP8 reticles are not hard to use once you understand the basics. if you practice with them, it becomes second nature. I think you'll find that with any range finding reticle system out there. To be good with any of them, it all comes down to practice.

Mildots have stood the test of time, but like most anything, better systems are being developed.

I try to keep an open mind on these things an most of them I understand. But the one that baffles the hell out of me the most is the TDS reticle. For my life, I can't figure that one out.

Anyone like to explain that one?

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

Gentlemen:

I probably do this once a week, but there is a lot of fog in the air about Mil Dots, but hopefully this will help.

Ranging tool:

The WERM formula is as follows:

Height of target (yards) x 1000
-------------------------------- = Range(Yds)
Height Target (Mils)

So if your target is 72" and the Mils is 4, your range is 500 yards. (As Rush says, for those of you in RIO LINDA, 72" is exactly 2 yards!)

or if your target is 36" and your mils is 3,
your range is 333 yards.

1 yard x 1000
------------- = 333 yards
3 mils

or if your target is 18" and your mils are 2, your range is 250 yards.

Now a slight variation on this which generally requires a calculator is

Height target (in)x 27.7
------------------------ = Range (yds)
Mils observed

or you can round off to 30 and do the calculation in your head.

I have found however, that the formula for target height in yards is the easiest to use.

That 3.3... jazz just confuses the issue.

(Note: If you are a Prairie Dog shooter, and your target is 9" tall, and you see 2.5 mils, your range is .25x1000/2.5=100 yards! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS: Now that you know the range you need to adjust your knobs for the hold over. You just make you come up chart in MOA and dial that in with your knob.

Alternatively, you can make the come up chart in Mils and uses the dots for holdover, but that is a little more difficult. By the way, this is why you need a scope with accurate mil dots and/or accurate clicks.

A come up chart might look something like this:

I can't help it, thats the way it is! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 03-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

DMCI

Thank you!!

For years I've had an MOA come-up chart in the scope cover of my rifle(s) but it never occured to me to add the Mil come-up value to the data for the MilDot scopes... I'll be doing that little addition directly. Just amazing the little things we can't see until someone holds our head in the correct direction!! Thanks again.

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

You know guys, i've been hanging around here for a year or so, and for the life of me, i don't understand why you would need to put comeups in a MOA measurement when the turret is calibrated. If you know the exact comeup for each range why not just calculate the exact calibration # on the turret and just put that on the range card/sticker. What is the advantage of using MOA #'s when i think (sometimes that part gets me in trouble, by the way-- probably here too)that with a MOA chart you would have to do yet another calculation in the field. Please enlighten me.

DMCI-- just wanna' be sure i gots this stuff here. That range sticker is a holdover system in mils, and a comeup system in MOA-- right?? This may seem like a dumb ? but... that's my way sometimes.

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 03-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> DMCI-- just wanna' be sure i gots this stuff here. That range sticker is a holdover system in mils, and a comeup system in MOA-- right?? This may seem like a dumb ? but... that's my way sometimes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sort of two sides of the same coin:

For MOA, once we have the range, we need to come up on the elevation knob so much in MOAs.

For Mils, we don't come up with the knob (although obviously you could.), we hold over the normal point of aim so many mils.

Just a word usage or nomenclature issue.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> For Mils, we don't come up with the knob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
unlles you have a metric scope