Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

conquest or monarch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: conquest or monarch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetowgunner View Post
from what i understand they used to make the conquest before zeiss went to the hd5.
wrongo!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

I'm 99.9% sure the Conquests have always been made by Zeiss.....But I have been wrong before.

Also, Zeiss handles their own warranty here in the US, too, before you tell us something else, as well....Which I know is also an internet rumor.

Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc.
13005 North Kingston Avenue
Chester, VA 23836
(800) 441-3005

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

I'd go with the Conquest and I'll illustrate why. 10 or so years ago we were packed in by Yellowstone. Opening day of the elk hunt I killed a 5X6 bull. Next day I got up and decided to go check the gut pile and see if there might be a black bear on it. I got out of camp a little late. When I got to where I had shot from the day before one of the other hunters from camp was already there. He told me a nice 6X6 had just walked across the meadow. I asked why he hadn't shot. It was perhaps 300-350 yards. His reply was that he couldn't see it through his scope because of the glare. I had a Conquest on my rifle. I looked through it and had almost NO glare. I asked him to check his scope again. He said still too much glare to shoot. I handed him my rifle. He took one look through my scope and demanded to know what it was. He was pissed when I told him a Conquest. He had a Monarch and thought it was the best he could afford. Moral of this story is that the coatings on the lens are important. Both scopes are going to be relatively clear. Likely close in low light abilities. I'd bet that the Conquest still has better coatings to fight glare. Find a store with both and compare them at last light. See what your eyes like. Bruce
Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM

I have both Conquest and Monarch, also have a couple of Meopros as well. All are very good scopes. I agree with just about all previous comments. My first purchase was the 2.5x10x42 monarch followed by the 3x9x40 conquest. Both cost me the same amount, both do a good job. I next invested in a 4x14x44 conquest for $700. It too is an excellent scope, but later I purchased the meopro 4x12x50 for over $200 less and wish I had stumbled across those earlier. I like them all, the best bang for the buck may be the Meoptas.

By the way, I had a dealer that sells all three tell me Meopta did make the 1" conquest for a while, if it's a lie he told it.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Bronze Member

so majority votes Conquest. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I keep reading that a little while back, Cabelas had them on sale for $299. Will this ever happen again?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

ziess upgraded the model and the ones that have been available at discount prices are the older model. Still a good scope though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightfootE View Post
so majority votes Conquest. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I keep reading that a little while back, Cabelas had them on sale for $299. Will this ever happen again?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Are people comparing the Zeiss Conquest scope to the new Nikon Monarch 3 or the old Monarch?? I havent read much about the Monarch 3 yet.