Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

conquest or monarch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

conquest or monarch?

I have a new tikka t3 stainless in 25-06 and want it to be my designated deer rifle. For pack in hunts, long hikes, and brush beating, this will be my go to. I plan to work up a load with the 115grn vld's and would like to be able to make accurate shots out to 400yrds or so, should a shot present it's self in a good scenario.
However, most realistic shots will be 100yrds or less.

the two scopes im looking at most are the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 and the Nikon monarch 3 2.5-10x42. I've read a lot of good things about both scopes and a few bad on each. I'm trying not to spend more than $350 although I know the list prices on both scopes exceeds that and I just might have to plunk down the cash. I've been hunting for a lightly used scope of either model with out much luck.

If I do end up paying full price on a new one, which would you pick? I suspect the zeiss is categorized as a higher end scope but I do know that Nikons offer a lot of bang for their price range. Does either have the edge?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Gold Member

Re: conquest or monarch?

I have both and there very close quality wize. In my opinion and this is an opinion as everyones eyes are a bit different, the monarch does a bit better in low light and the ziess is a bit better in the daytime. If held down to pick one id proabably go with the monarch
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

To my eyes the Conquest takes the prize between the 2 scopes mentioned, must be why I still have a few Conquests on my rifles.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Had both, still have the Conquest....And bought another one after that.

Conquest, hands-down.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Same here. I have both...prefer the Conquest
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

I just posted about my Meopta 10x42 HD's in another thread. I hate to sound like a Meopta fan boy, but I've played with their 3-9x42 and its a solid scope. From what I understand they used to make the conquest before Zeiss went to the HD5.

Might be worth taking a look at?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

My Conquests are phenomenal.....I don't give a crap who makes them. But if they were junk, I don't think Carl Zeiss would put his name on them...Just my $0.02....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.