Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Confidence in your scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 01:29 AM

Confidence in your scope?

Hi
I have recently bought a Schmidt & Bender PM11 scope with mil dot reticle which I am very pleased with. I am successfully using the mil dot system but would like to start dialling in the adjustment for greater accuracy. My question is how accurate are the turret adjustments? If I have correctly zeroed the gun and then dial in adjustments for windage and range after taking the shot and retuning the turrets to the zero how close will they be to the original zero? I appreciate this will vary from make and model but what is your experience? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: Confidence in your scope?

My PM2 is absolutely spot on -even after knocks!
Are you having problems with your PM2?

If you're having minor problems with perfect return to zero at 100m and have a model without parallax adjustment; it may be worth bearing in mind that the non-adjustable PM2s are set to be parallax free at 200m (ie not the more usual 100m).

-this might mean that if your head position is consistent when firing a group, but is not absolutely consistent between groups, the groups may appear to wander a tiny bit at 100m.

To round-off in an up-beat way; my PM2 has become the most 'trustable' scope I own or have owned (others include other S&B, Swarovski and -very briefly- a Leupold).

Good choice!

[ 09-12-2004: Message edited by: Brown Dog ]
Old 09-12-2004, 05:14 AM

Hi Brown Dog
Thanks for the feedback, I am not having any problems with the PM2 and I am very pleased with it. I have the 3-12x50 and having spent time getting the zero as spot on as I can at 150 yards (.243)I just wanted some reassurance that if I start dialing in corrections for wind etc that it would return to my zero. Probably me being foolish considering the quality/price of the scope but its good to hear some real feedback from others. How frequently do you recheck the zero?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

relay and trust the scope. I have had a PMII 3-12x50 now for about 6 years or so,(got one of the first that came out) it has never once failed to adjust perfectly. in fact, using a picatinny rail on all 3 of my remington rifles, ( 2 short 1 long action) and Badger Ord rings i have swapped the scope back and forth, dialed in the required known adjustment, reset the turrets to zero and have been exactly spot on every time.
What kind of mounts are you using? the AI one is made by sports match and is basicaly and airgun scope mount and as such it is very unreliable (as well as bieng a pile of crap) the best are the 34mm Badger Ord rings.
Pete
Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Subsonic,

I think that checking of zero is more a 'system' thing than just a scope thing. Personally, I'm verging on check zero paranoid (you'll understand why by the time you've read this!); I feel uncomfortable doing more than a couple of trips afield without firing at least a check shot at something!

We're all slaves to our own experience; hence (I suspect) Pete's downer on the AI mount.
My worst loss of zero ever was on an occasion whilst my PM2 was mounted on my Sauer 202. Sadly I discovered the shift on a beast rather than a target. The 1st beast dropped to a liver hit at around 150m; rather stunned at my inaccuracy, I persuaded myself that I must, somehow, have unwittingly pulled the shot. I'm rather ashamed to say that I then cracked on with the outing; the next shot at an animal at around 230m hit the beast in the gut (I hasten to add that I now twigged the error and aimed-off to drop the animal with a 2nd shot).I later found that the POI was about 60cm right of POA at 230m. The cause wasn't the scope; it was - I later found- the fact that the locking nut on the front Badger mount had quietly slackened itself off. Re-torquing it put the rifle back on zero.

-my point being that it was a 'system' loss of zero rather than just a scope problem.

Conversely, I once had a 15cm zero shift at 200m with a Swarovski 3-12x50. I had accidentally bumped the objective on a door frame; a bump that I thought so light that I paid it no heed. But the zero shifted. A solid scope problem that time!

Now my PM2 sits atop an AW rifle (in the AI mount that Pete so strongly damns!). Despite some rough use (this rifle encourages rough use!)the zero does not budge a jot! -with this set-up, both my 'system' and 'scope' trust increase on a daily basis!

I suppose, what I'm trying to say, is that your 'check-zero' interval will depend on the 'system' trust that you will develop over time. I feel quietly confident that your PM2 will not reveal itself as a weak link!

(Pete: Quit those negative AI vibes! The AI mount is in service on the L96, the L118A1 and the L115A1. If it's good enough for work, it's certainly good enough for play! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img])
Old 09-15-2004, 12:41 AM

Pete, BD
Thanks for the replies, you have boosted my confidence considerably. The basses/mounts I have are a Weaver type with Warne Permanyly Attached mounts. I have not noticed any problems in this area but let me know your thoughts? I tried to attach an image but I assume you can only link to a web address where the images are hosted?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Writers Guild

Subsonic, the only way to know for sure how well a scope works is to test it under real world conditions.

Whenever I get a new scope, I do the following tests. I mount it on a known rifle and shoot the box. Then I shot for elevation and note if the adjustments are linear - must shoot in calm conditions to assure bullet drift is not affecting your results. All this is repeated several times in a random fashion.

The hardest test is take a shot, then turn each or both knobs back and forth through their entire range of travel several times. Do this fast or slow. Just run them through their adjustment range. go back to the zero setting and take a shot.

A good scope will drill that shot in the same group. A bad one will put the bullet into a new 'zero'.

After doing these tests, you will be surprised at the number scopes that fail. If it passes, you will now know that mechanically your scope will work for you.

I also take the rifle out and let it bounce around in my truck for a bit just to see if it will hold zero. Most quality scopes will.

All of these little tests just help build confidence.

Jerry