Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Computerized reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Computerized reticle

I have finally done it!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have created a computer program that allows you to enter your zero and your bullet drops and windage and it will show you a picture of a given reticle such as all the Nightforce reticles, and the Mil-dot and numbers will appear on the reticle showing you how many inches high or low the bullet will be at each hold over in 100 yard increments! Also number of clicks and MOA come ups are also given for those that want to move the reticle to hit at their desired range with the center croos hair! YeeHa!!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Computerized reticle

Copyright the program and get a government contract after you port it to a palmtop... this should set you up with $$$$$$.

After seeing the topic I was thinking of a HUD scope that has a laser range finding built in. After the laser grabs the distance the computer then calculates drop per the load, temp, distance and the a small dot appears and that's your hold-over. (load and temp can be entered in advance) The only thing the shooter has to compute is the wind.
Maybe someone has this already but I haven't seen it or heard of it. Anyone working for USO here, if so it's an idea?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

I am retro fitting this program into another program that does so much more. That program is already copywrighted and I just need to update the copywright. I am thinking though of making this available as a program in and of itself.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

ScO, sounds like an M-1 Abrahms' fire control system to me........ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Really nice work. I wish you luck.

Oh, and you might want to take a look at this.

Atrag Software Page
Old 11-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds great! Now where can I get one and how much does it cost?
Old 11-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah that atrag software stuff is preatty cool, this program allows you to use NF reticles though. It doesent calculate ballistics, you have to enter your drop chart and it just shows you how high or low you would be at each hold over and how many clicks up or down it would take to hit the target based on you MOA per click. Also MOA come ups and come overs are included.

Input values are zero range, drop in inches at longer ranges, MOA per click (eg. .125, .250 ect...), wind drift in inches. You choose which reticle you want to use. Mildot, NP-R2, and NP-1RR. Other reticles are soon to come.

The graphics on this program are really cool too.

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited by: meichele ]