Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

compact scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: compact scopes

I've had 2 4-12X Burris Minis, and unfortunately both had problems with focusing. Had to send them back 2X, and i haven't used them since they came back. But i've had other scopes that work great from them, so ?? Those 2 4-12 Mini's were quite old, so maybe they've beat the focusing problem. I've seen that scope written up several times since with excellent results each time. If you get one, and it's good--let us know, please. There's no doubt in my mind that if it works well, with a Ballistic Plex reticle/target turret setup, it could be one superb compact long-range package, especially with Exbal (Burris ought to sell that program as a package deal with their scopes).

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 04-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

sscoyote, Burris scopes have been updated throughout the years so you really can't compare old to new. My new 4-12 is ungodly clear, and since I have it on my Anschutz I fired it in my basement(focuses down to 7yds)got a nice one hole group at 15yds, my son got a better group than I did, haha. Called Burris yesterday and asked Larry about some QC issues I've heard about them, he said the president of Burris caught this guy in final insp. not doing his job and fired him on the spot, they've had alot of turnover lately(retirements) so your bound to get some scopes that slip through that aren't right, after all this world is full of imperfect people. As I said my '7' Burris scopes are all fine and I'll keep on buying them. Some of The Burris scopes with the mil-dot setup don't come with target turrets, my 4-16Sig.w/balmil-dot included, my sons 6-24Sig.w/balmil-dot has them, $80 to convert to T/T, I don't really see a use for them for scopes with balmil-dots cuz the hash msrks are calibrated out 700yds unless your shooting to 1k, ballistic plex out to 500-600yds depending on if your shooting with standard or magnum trajectories, Burris website explains all about the two plexes if you click on tech notes I think it was called, very informative.Geez all this talk makes me want to go shooting. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 04-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Thks. Jay, i'm going out tomorrow to do some LR shooting myself. I've got a 6AI that i'm going to be testing with one of those older scopes, so we'll see if they fixed the problem or not. I'm hoping. I thought they'd done better. i've got a 3-12X LER, Ballistic Plex reticle on an XP pistol that's just excellent, and it's the same length as the 4-12 Mini's, so whatever happened before just might be fixed now. I'm still a firm believer that those Mini's would be a great combination with an ele. target turret/Ballistic Plex setup. If all goes well I'm going to send mine back in for both modifications.One thing's for sure, if it doesn't work i can always get my money back with their warranty.

[ 04-04-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Whoooaaaahhh! They must have fixed the problem, it worked great.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

..FWIW.. I've had excellent customer service from Burris on the rare occasion that I needed it.. I will purchase their products in the future.. d:^) JiNC