Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Compact Bino advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Compact Bino advice

I need a little help choosing a respectable pair of compact binoculars preferably 10X. Ideally I'd buy Zeiss, Swaro or some other top maker, however it's just not in the budget right now, so I'd like to keep the price under $275 maybe $300.

I did a little shopping at Midway and came up with 3 preliminary choices,
(1) Brunton Eterna 10x25 @ $220
(2) Burris Signature Semi-Compact 10x32 @ $255
(3) Steiner Predator 10x26 @ $160
All I've ever used for binoculars were Bushnell or Tasco and since buying a couple of Zeiss scopes I realize I need to upgrade. So if anybody has any info or experience with these, or can recommend another option, feel free to reply.
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 11-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Re: Compact Bino advice

I bought a pair of steiner predator 8x22 for the wife 2 years ago. She used them for deer hunting last year and got them out this year and they were messed up. Like the tubes werent lined up. Gave me a head ache. So I sent them in for repair, they call and tell me they cant fix them in the states but for $60 they will send a refurbished pair. Fine I say (didnt send in the warrenty card). So for $210 I have an ok pair of binos. Not great binos. I wouldnt buy them again.

After that I went looking for another pair for me. Looked thru a lot of them. Ended up with pentax dcf-sp 10x43 for $440. After I ordered them I found some for $409 online. Super clear and bright. Early morning or when its getting dark in the evening they are great. Best money Ive spent on optics so far. I carry them with a cabelas bino harness, dont even know they are there and always handy.

If I did it again I would try the 8x, the 10s get a little wobbly when you get tired or excited.

If space is really limited, compacts may work, but I havent found any that do.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

After looking thru many Bino's I chose the Pentax 8x36 DCF HS. They are phase coated, light, crisp and bright as any out there, and you can get them for $250. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Arizona Wildlife Foundation
Old 11-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I have been using Pentax DCF's 8x42's for ten year and have a pair of 8x30 Ziess. I only use the Ziess on hard hiking days when oz's count.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Winmagman, You might look at the Leupold Katmai line. 10X32 or 8X32 in the mid $300 range. I've seen them and they look good. All the reviews out about them are positive. Also, highly rated by John Barnsness is the Bushnell Legend series. A 8X32 model is around $300 and still not too heavy. Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

I know you said COMPACT binos, but I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42's and they are so clear and bright in low light I'm just plum tickled with them. Was out last night on the first day of Penna deer season (rifle) and my buddy was astounded at how much better he could see with the nikons than his scope or his eyes at 5 minutes left. BTW, had to pass on two bucks that didn't meet the state's requirements (at least 4 tines on one side).

I'd look at the Nikons for the price. Get to a Cabelas or somewhere else and compare them outside at dusk with a couple other brands. I'm confident I got a terrific deal from theoticszone.com on the Nikons.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll save my pennies a while longer and go with the Zeiss 10x25 compacts. I really like their scopes and suspect I won't be disappointed with their Binos.