Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Combo bino/rangefinders...what's the latest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Combo bino/rangefinders...what's the latest?

Still trying to confirm the orientation of the laser on the EL Range. It's 1.5 x .5 mrads but is the 1.5 mrad dimension veritically oriented or horizontally oriented?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

jmden
Just backtracking a bit, I followed this thread as I am in similar spot. I looked at the Swarovski at Cabelas, and was wondering if you had learned anything new.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

No, I haven't. I have an acquaintance who knows a Swaro rep and I've asked him to ask the rep to confirm the beam shape, that is the orientation of the rectangular beam shape and whether the long side of the rectangle is vertically or horizontally oriented. Swaro's specs says it's with the long side of the rectangle vertically oriented, which does not seem to make sense to me. That seems a very poor way to do it for a number of reasons. Would sure like to hear from someone that has one and can test this...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

The only testing I've done was the back wall at Cabelas was 66 yards from the optics counter and did not move while I was there. Similar results with a Dall ram at 48 yards. They did give me a catalogue, I'll look through it and maybe call them. Can't hurt.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

About a week ago, I was able to talk to some Swaro reps at a gun show regarding the EL Range units. They confirmed that the beam shape is a vertically oriented (long side is vertical) rectangular shape. I told them that there was concern that orientation could cause problems in certain situations such as ranging in flat terrain or across a canyon at a hilside where the bottom and top edge of the rectangular shaped beam would be contacting terrain at potentially very disparate ranges.

The thinking, I was told, was that a vertically oriented beam would cross the horizontally oriented body of most game animals at right angles and make it easier to get the beam on the body. OK...that might be OK for the general hunter in general hunting conditions, which I started to feel these were designed for--after all, they have to appeal to a broad market to make $. However, I mentioned my concerns again regarding the above conditions at long range. There was not a whole lot more they had to say.

The units do not have an integral tripod mount either. Bummer. I know quite a few guys use them here, but I have some reservations regarding plunking down $3K for them. Maybe I'm expecting too much...wouldn't be the first time. Just wanted to report what I'd learned.