Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Click value question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Click value question

Does anyone know if it is possible to translate inches into mils, e.g my scope's click value is given in 1/5" but my ballistic calculator allows me to put in moa, smoa or xmils. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Re: Click value question

Quote:
Originally Posted by land cruiser View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to translate inches into mils, e.g my scope's click value is given in 1/5" but my ballistic calculator allows me to put in moa, smoa or xmils. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
If i'm correct, 1 mil = 1 yard at 1000 yds. or 3.6" at 100 yds
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Is it possible? YES

Should it be done? NO

Thats why it makes no sense to have moa adjustments with a mil reticle or vise versa. I dont care if its mil or moa, but there is no good reason to have mil/moa, or moa/mil. All this math is extra and not what you should be focusing on.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
Is it possible? YES

Should it be done? NO

Thats why it makes no sense to have moa adjustments with a mil reticle or vise versa. I dont care if its mil or moa, but there is no good reason to have mil/moa, or moa/mil. All this math is extra and not what you should be focusing on.
Well, I am not sure I have any other options. My scope only does 1/5" and that's all the info I can get. If you have a suggestion it is very welcome
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, I am not sure I have any other options. My scope only does 1/5" and that's all the info I can get. If you have a suggestion it is very welcome

Are you saying your scope adjusts in 1/5th of a moa per click?

What is the scope? My first sugestion might be to sell the scope and get a more standard adjusting scope.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
Are you saying your scope adjusts in 1/5th of a moa per click?

What is the scope? My first sugestion might be to sell the scope and get a more standard adjusting scope.
I am saying that my scope adjusts in 1/5" per click. Given that 1" is roughly 1MOA at 100 yards you are correct.

S&B Precision Hunter 4-16x50.

If I can't make this scope work, I'll get another one
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I am saying that my scope adjusts in 1/5" per click. Given that 1" is roughly 1MOA at 100 yards you are correct.

S&B Precision Hunter 4-16x50.

If I can't make this scope work, I'll get another one
Im sure you could do the math and make that scope work. Its a S&B so tracking should not be a issue. But you could sell that and buy a scope thats a little more user friendly as well. Im not sure why they put that kind of adjustment on such a high end scope.