Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Cleaning scope lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2003, 12:15 AM

Cleaning scope lenses

Ok guys I am interested in what everyone thinks is the best method of cleaning there Scope lenses?
Let me know what methods and products you think are the best.

Old 08-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cleaning scope lenses

I use one of those scope LensPens by Leupold. It came with the scope I ordered and it works great. Before that I used camera lens cleaner and paper. I still do, it I get mud and muck on the scope (which is often), then I polish it with the lenspen.

Hope it helps

[ 08-30-2003: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Acetone, Jay
Old 08-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Robbo,
You ever seen those little kits sold in photo equipment stores that contain a fine brush, little sqeeze bottle of solvent, and roll of funny onionskin-like papers? Well, that's what I resorted to using when my piece-of-**** Leupold lens pens started mukking up the scope glass more than cleaning it! These kits work great! But don't overdo the solvent.

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

In my chosen profession (Clinical Lab. Technologist) we do a lot of work with microscopes, and over the years i've found that, believe it or not, saliva is a good lens cleaner with a soft cloth or lens paper.

Jay, that acetone might be a mite rough on some lens glues/seals.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

sscoyote, The Burris folks use acetone for their lens cleaning, I don't think they'd use something that would be harmful to seals, Jay
Old 09-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

As you know, proper cleaning and maintenance are important parts of obtaining the optimum level of performance from your riflescope.
Lenses: scope lenses are coated to reduce light reflection and light absorption. They should be cleaned as carefully as you would clean a camera lens. Use a lens brush to remove dust. If the lens is dirty, clean with pure alcohol, a grade of pharmaceutical acetone (keep it off of wood stocks), or pure water on a cotton swab.

Clean the lenses as you would a fine camera lens. Use a lens brush to remove dust (or simply blow off the particles). Fingerprints and smudges that cannot be removed by brushing can be removed with a good grade of glass cleaner. For example, Leupold uses a pharmaceutical grade of acetone for 99% of their lens cleaning. Use a cotton swab for application of the cleaner directly to the lens. Shake off the excess acetone so that it does not drip. Start in the center of the lens and work the tip to the outer edge of the glass. Use as frequently as necessary to keep the lenses bright and clean.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]