Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Cleaning optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Bronze Member

Cleaning optics

Is it safe to use glass cleaner on a qtip or cotton swab to clean the optics on a scope?
Can a person use alcohol? If there is optical coatings on the external lenses will glass cleaner or alcohol hurt them?
What method of cleaning works best for you to get the optics spot and streak free?
Old 05-31-2003, 11:41 PM

Re: Cleaning optics

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 06-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

I have a couple spots of something on the obj of my NF I'd like to get off, not sure what the hell it is though. Every "simple" thing I've tried doesn't touch it but, here's the catch... you can't even see the spots until you fog it up from breathing on it, it's basically invisible otherwise. It doesn't smear like oil or anything and it didn't rub off either????????

Is MEK or ALCOHOL in order here??? I hate the thought of using MEK on anything, the stuff's NAAAAAASTY!!! One good wiff of that crap would take years off ones life I think!!!

Someone here said MEK is what NF "recommended."
Old 06-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

As you know, proper cleaning and maintenance are important parts of obtaining the optimum level of performance from your riflescope.

Lenses: scope lenses are coated to reduce light reflection and light absorption. They should be cleaned as carefully as you would clean a camera lens. Use a lens brush to remove dust. If the lens is dirty, clean with pure alcohol, a grade of pharmaceutical acetone (keep it off of wood stocks), or pure water on a cotton swab.

Clean the lenses as you would a fine camera lens. Use a lens brush to remove dust (or simply blow off the particles). Fingerprints and smudges that cannot be removed by brushing can be removed with a good grade of glass cleaner. For example, Leupold uses a pharmaceutical grade of acetone for 99% of their lens cleaning. Use a cotton swab for application of the cleaner directly to the lens. Shake off the excess acetone so that it does not drip. Start in the center of the lens and work the tip to the outer edge of the glass. Use as frequently as necessary to keep the lenses bright and clean.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]
Old 06-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

When tempted to keep your lenses constantly, perfectly, dust free - just say no!

Every time you clean your lenses, you subject them to a mistake on your part that can have long lasting ramifications. A little dust on the objective, or ocular for that matter, doesn't degrade the image in any way that our poor little eyes can actually see anyhow.

Now, a dirty little secret I found out about the hard way is the effect of suspended particles of tree sap/pollen that are released during spring and early summer. If you find a fine coating of hazy material (or if your lens turns a light shade of green!), clean it immediately! That stuff just will not come off completely after it dries...

Now when I do clean my telescopes, riflescopes and camera lenses, I use the same process.

Find the purest Isopropyl alcohol you can (right now, I've got 99+% pure). The rationale for this among my astronomer friends is that the detergents in the less pure stuff streak the lens and leave material behind.

Blow loose material off with low-pressure compressed air from the implement of your choice. Then, cotton swabs, with almost no pressure, should be used in a circular motion starting at the center of the lens and working outward. Be conscious of large particles that may scratch your glass. Change swabs often.

When the gunk is cleaned off, and only streaks are left, use a few Kleenex plain white unscented tissues (anal-retentive astronomers have found these to have the least amount of non-paper scented-lotion goo to further mess your lens up), with almost no pressure, first with a few drops of alcohol, then with less, to gently clean off the streaks.

That's it!

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: STL_Shooter ]
Old 06-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

So many things that can go wrong. I'm amazed that we don't have more problems.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

I'm the type that almost never clean mine but, I do take "every" precausion to keep crap off of them. My rational is the more you clean them, the more chance to scratch them or otherwise wear off the coatings.... and why, you can almost never see the crap on the lense anyway.

Well after several months of use, I noticed some haze and build up getting to the point I figured I'd clean it off and start over... I don't think I'd ever even cleaned it up to that point.

I'll try the alcohol and see what happens with the spots I got on mine. Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]