Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Cleaning Nightforce lens w/windex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

Cleaning Nightforce lens w/windex?

I've seen a lot of discussion on cleaning lens. But the coatings vary from manufacture to manufacture. Talking to nightforce the guy said I could use windex if I wanted because the coatings were so tough? Now I just dont know if I want to use windex on a $1200 scope. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm thinking of just going to the local camera shop and picking up a lens cleaning kit.

Experiences, thoughts, opinions?

[ 04-07-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cleaning Nightforce lens w/windex?

trader, From what I've heard, windex is harmful to most coatings, like I've said in other posts, burris says to use acetone, pharmacutical grade, do not use fingernail polish remover, pure acetone, I use eye glass cleaner, myself, I'll use acetone if I've got some stubborn crap on the lenses, Jay
Old 04-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Interesting... I asked the guy at nightforce about acetone and he thought that was a bit extreme. Maybe I should call back and see if I get a different person to talk to.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Bronze Member

When I talked to Jeff Huber at Nightforce about lens cleaning he told me the best thing to use on NF lenses is MEK.
He also told me the same thing, that NF lenses have very durable multiple coatings that resist much more abuse than all the other manufacturer's lense coatings.
I have not had the need to clean my lenses as of yet. I just wanted to get someones professional opinion at NightForce.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

MEK ? what is it and where to buy? thanks!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

MEK Methyl ethyl ketone

Nasty stuff, can cause all kinds of health problems. Use only in a WELL ventilated area, and if anyone in the house is pregnant, don't use it at all.

Personally, I don't care how tough the coatings are supposed to be, I treat all my scopes like I do my camera lenses. I use only lens cleaning liquid, or a lens pen, depending on whats on the lens.

huntin1
Old 04-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Yes,
As huntin1 stated: METHYL ETHYL KETONE.
It is a solvent that has many uses. Just do a search to get a good description of what it is used for.
I use to use it for degreasing aircraft parts when I was a helicopter mechanic in the ARMY. It is very nasty for your health. I had to wear a respirator and rubber gloves in a well ventilated room when I used it.
The reason Jeff Huber told me that it works well is because it evaporates leaving the lense spotless and that it will not harm the lenses because NF's coatings are very tough and durable.
I talked to Jeff Huber 2 years ago. If you want to use it I would phone NF and see if they are still recomending the use of MEK for cleaning lenses before you try it.
But it is still a hazardous chemical. You do not want to inhale MEK.
If you do use it, use it outside in a light breeze holding the rifle/scope downwind so you do not inhale it.
And as huntin1 was saying make sure no one is pregnant when this stuff is being used.
I have always been told that autobody shops usually stock MEK. You can probably find it at a paint store also.