Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Clarity, resolution?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Clarity, resolution?

Hello, If someone was to line up all the popular scopes, Swaro, Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Nightforce, etc., and if you noted that when glassing out to whatever range, you could read an acuity chart or a highway sign or whatever, and assuming that the parallax was perfect in all the scopes, that all the scopes were as clear as the next, wouldn't that say that the scopes were for the most part equal? This could apply to binos as well. Jay
Old 02-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Clarity, resolution?

Sounds reasonable but you may still have issues with relative brightness, edge distortion and color rendition.

Just my thoughts - VH
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

I believe there as many more criteria than can be tested with an standard human type visual acuity chart. (RZONK VDKSN)

There are astigmatism type tests, horizonal and vertical line resolution. Edge distortion (don't know the actual term). Spherical abberation (?), etc, etc.

Many things to test before calling them equal.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Let's assume that all these scopes have no edge distortion, brightness was for the most part the same, and color rendition was the same, just how the optical definition-often called "sharpness" looked through each.
Example: If all these scopes were pointed at a Highway sign 800yds. away and there were various size letters on the sign and each time the letters got smaller the image looked the same through each scope. equal or no, I say yes, what you say? Thanks, Jay
Old 02-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Jay,

It all depends on the quality of the glass and how perfect the surface is ground. You see alot better with the high end scopes, at a 500 yard shoot, i compared my dads simmons 44 6/20 to my fujinon 6/20 and the fujinon ate that simmons up i was able to see bullet holes and the lettering on the target while with the simmons i couldnt see either. you get what you pay for with glass

[ 02-20-2004: Message edited by: Brian Rybicky ]
Old 02-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Brian, You mean If I took a Burris 3x-9x-40mm Signature($350) and took a $900 4x-12x-50mm Swarofski, both on the same power, the Swaro would look better cause it cost more, cause I've been there, done that, and that wasn't the case, the Swaro was a bit brighter because of a larger objective, but sharpness or optical definition was equal in my eyes. Jay
Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Jay,

I'll go with ya there those sworski are a piece of $#!t and definately not worth 1000+ dollars, but say you compare that burris to an tasco, you'll see a big difference. When you get around the higher maginifcation, the better scopes really start to shine.