Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Checking Collimination of Big Eyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Bronze Member

Checking Collimination of Big Eyes

Can someone give me a sure fire method of doing this. I have heard about several ways to do it but would like to here from somebody that knows all about it. Thanks GEG
Old 06-01-2003, 10:35 PM

Re: Checking Collimination of Big Eyes

I use the Moon.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

I have tried a few ways and my way absolutely works best for me. I pick out a bright star at night.Point my binoculars at the star,cover the front of one eyepiece with one hand,leave both eyes open,slowly move my hand out of the way.
If they are not colliminated, I start to see a weird mishapen ghost image somewhere in my field of view, in addition to the star. As I move my hand away more, at some point my brain realizes that the forming image is looking more and more like the star.Then my brain tries to align the two images. Untill that point I can see where the two images are in relation to each other and therefore make corrections.
Test, correct, test, correct.It works for me.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Not to dispute 338-378.
I use a light aprox, 1500 yds away. close one eye then the other adjust till the light is in thwe same spot in both eyes. open both and they should be close. BUT thats just my way I'm shure there is a better way. Just my two cents. I'm not an expert, just my two cents. the moon works very well also. I've done that too. :-)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:01 PM

BE,
That ol moon moves pretty fast doesn't it.........
Old 06-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

You need a straight verticle line and a straight horizontal line at least 1000 yards away. A roof of a building and the end wall will work. A high tension power line frame will work fine also.

Step #1. You MUST place the horizontal line at the very bottom or top of "one" of the tubes when looking in the eyepiece and after you have locked the tripod in that position.

You then look in the other eyepiece and see if the line is at the SAME position on that scope. If not make an adjustment to correct both the same.

Step #2. You then set the tripod to hold the verticle line at the far right or far left when looking in "ONE" of the eyepieces never both at the same time while doing this. You then look into the other eyepiece and make sure the view of the verticle line is in the same place in that tube. You make any adjustments needed. I use the "same" eye (usually the right) for both tubes by just moving my head from the right tube to the left tube.

You then must go back and repeat steps number one and then step two again until both verticle and horizontal planes are in the SAME location when looking into each tubes eyepiece "seperatly".

Remember to lock the tripod in place so it wont move after you have set one of the tubes to view a straight plane.

Unless the bigeyes were dropped,, they should stay in colimation.

DC
Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 PM

Hey DC,
Ya know its funny, that method never worked for me. Always felt like my eyes were getting pulled out of my head. Of course it could be my eyes cause one sees brighter than the other too. I started usin the moon with both eyes open and in the glass adj till one moon and perfect circle in tubes no more headaches. What's up with that? Boyd's glasses are way out of whack for me. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]