Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

cheap scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: cheap scope

I have a 3-12 x 50 NC Star w/ 30mm tube and lighted mildot reticle that is a warranty replacement for a similar scope in 3-9 that was on a 340 WBY. (the vertical crosshair broke). It has ~ 3" to 3 1/2" eye relief, decent light gathering, one piece tube, and a good warranty. The original 3-9 cost $89. Limitations are covered knobs, no parallax adjustment, fairly critical eye alignment, and uncertain durability. This one is back on the 340 and I haven't shot it enough to build confidence yet. If anyone else has tried these scopes, I would appreciate their comments. I prefer Leupolds, but can't afford many of them. Thanks,
Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 PM

I got a Natchez book and it talked about a scope with Japanese glass. It is a Simmons 8-32x44 and sells for $129.00. I have expensive 45x45 competition leupold scopes and a few redfield scopes that are 6-20x50 that are excellent clear scopes to compare this to. I ordered the Simons scope above and took it to the range. The cross hairs are thicker than both the redfield and leupold which has a 1/8th MOA dot. This new simmons scope has about a 1/4 to 1.2 MOA dot and thicker cross hairs but did a good job. It is very clear at the lower powers but gets a little fuzzy at 32 power but is able to hold is own at $129.00 and I will buy another one if there are any left for another gun just so I don't have to keep changing scopes around when I want to shoot one of my scopeless guns. I have looked thru a friends BSA scopes and they are yellow coated or just not clear to me. I use shooting glasses and when I look thru the BSA scopes with shooting glasses or sun glasses it is not good. Hope this helps
Old 08-20-2004, 10:14 PM

I don't personally own one, but I've heard some good reports on the Tasco World Class and Target/Varmint scopes (Natchez currently has them on sale). Varmint Al (http://www.varmintal.com/ashot.htm) has some good things to say about them, and if you look at the buyer comments on the Midway website, most are very positive.

For $90 to $120, I'm thinking about giving them a try on my long-range squirrel sniper 10/22.

I am very intrigued by the one-really-nice-scope-for-several-rifles concept. You can only shoot one at a time, so if the switch is quick and easy, it seems like this would have some merit.