Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Cheap rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Cheap rangefinder

I am looking at getting a new rangefinder, would like 1000 yds if I can afford a decent one. Hopefully someone with some experience can help me out I am looking at the Nikon rifle hunter 1000 or Leupold rx-1000i. Which one of those is better or is there another alternative in the same price range. Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cheap rangefinder

there is a ton of info on here covering this subject . use the search button that is located at the top of the page . you will get educated on these . there is a lot to know before you lay down your money . beam size is something that gets a lot of attention . it's important that you understand a big beam could be ranging something that is close to your target , but far enough away to cause a bad reading that causes a missed shot . I'd guess the nikon 1000 is good to about 500 on an animal . I had a Nikon 800 , it was good to about 400 yards on fur . with you wanting to range reliably to 1000 your going to need to be looking at higher end ones , something like the Leica 1600 , G7BR2 , vectronix terrapin . hope this helps Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

+1

1K yards reliably is not going to be a cheap date. I have a Bushy ARC 1000 and it ranges out that far, even farther but I'm not trusting that far and I only need to range accurately to 400 maximum anyway.

What it says at what it is are probably 2 different values. No biggie for me.

My biggest use of the rangefinder is actually plotting irregular sided fields for crop planting and calculating area for fertilizer application.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Your best purchase would be a used Leica 1200. May have to pay as much as $450. Possibly lower depending.

Regarding "cheap". There ain't no such thing. If you're shooting far enough to need a range finder, you're shooting far enough to need one that works to your desired distance.

Went on a long expensive hunt with a back east fella a few years ago. A shooter target presented itself after about a month of glassing. His range finder would return repeatable reading from well over 1500 yards. My Leica would range to 1200 most of the time, 900+ all of the time and 1400 once in awhile.

Said target was over 1400. A doable shot for the shooter. His range finder had a beam as big as a barn. Ranged a lone pine 45 yards closer than the target animal.

Result: Clean miss.

4000 miles of travel, gallons of gas and on and on and a clean miss. There ain't no such thing as a cheap range finder.

FWIW
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Thank you all for the replies what is the opinion on the Leica 1000. I can't find a 1200 anywhere
Old 10-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Leica 1000 r Review

Here's a 1200 for a respectable price.

WTS - Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder

Here's a 1000 for the same price.

Fs: Leica crf 1000
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Your best purchase would be a used Leica 1200. May have to pay as much as $450. Possibly lower depending.
FWIW
I think this is good advice. I bought a Leica CFR1200 used for this exact price a few years back. It definitely does not go as far out as the 1600 or the ultra high-end units, but I have supreme confidence that it ranges accurately.

Mine is not for sale, we'll put it that way

Further to Roy's point, I don't think there is a "cheap" way to get what you want