Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Changing POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Changing POI

Have you lapped the scope rings? You could have your scope in a bit of a bind?? Ever since I started lapping all of my scope rings, regardless of caliber, I no longer experience any changes in my POI or the rifles zero. I did have a scope once that would shoot 2 groups. I realized that when I dry fired the crosshairs would jump back and forth..sometimes, but always to just two different points. That scope is now a fish wacker!
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Dang, a $1500+ scope and expensive rings too....

I have to say that it is not unusual for me to handle my rifle by holding the scope, particularly when taking it out the rifle case... So far I have never managed to move my zero.

This is a 30mm scope tube, right ? In my opinion, if you can deflect the scope tube with one hand, it has a structural defect, like a crack in the tube.

I only have a Vortex Viper, which is also a 30mm tube, and I always use a Warne steel one piece picatinny base and their Maxima steel rings. I'm fairly sure you could lift the average car completely off the ground with one of those if the screws were a little beefier.

I also bed the base to the receiver, since it never makes 100% contact from the factory.

I suggest you send your scope back to the factory to get checked out, since it does not seem right. It should take a lot more than what you are saying to get a 30mm tube to deflect. Even exotic alloys made for turbine blades sometimes have defects, like what we saw with the DC10 that lost the rotor due to an inclusion in the material..
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

I haven't lapped the rings, thought about it though but I thought it was all top quality and I wouldn't need to. Tomorrow I'm going to take the scope and rings off another gun and mount it on there. I think I'm going to send the scope back anyway because it has always had a hard spot in the windage turret between 3 and 4 mills left nothing bad just a little more difficult. If that fixes it then I will put the old rings on the new scope and see if the problem comes back.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Something is strange here.
You can take a one piece scope (with a tube thickness 3 times that of Leupold's) that is bolted to a substantial scope base and more substantial action and can cause a 1.5 MOA shift? That is not possible!

Even if the scope internals were totally fubared there is no way you are going to deflect that scope with light hand pressure...unless the scope base or rings are wrong.

A hard spot in the tracking is symptomatic of misaligned rings.
What are you running for rings and bases?
Got any pictures?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Bronze Member

It has Seekins base and rings, I bedded the base with Devcote but didn't lap the rings. When I got this scope about 1.5 years ago it had a hard spot right out of the box. I talked to NF and they said send it back for repair but it would take a few months to return it so I have been putting it off because it didn't seem to affect anything and I needed to use the scope.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Gee......I believe we've come full-circle here, like my original post. Something is either wrong or loose in your scope mounting or something is wrong with the scope. There are only 2 options....Lap your rings and try it again, or lap your rings and send your scope back to NF to have them repair what is wrong.

Not that there haven't ever been, but I've never heard of a NF having turret issues and making it to the consumer...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

Last night I completely dismantled the gun, base and stock. I re bedded the base (didn't find anything wrong with the old bedding) and put just the barreled receiver in the vise. I took a dial indicator and mounted it to the barrel about 3 inches from the receiver and put the indicator on the rail. I could put pressure on the tang and the indicator would move .001" in each direction and always come back to zero, I would think this would be normal flex in a receiver especially one not in a stock for extra support. I then mounted the original scope and rings. I moved the indicator still mounted to the barrel to read on the front ring cap, I could see the +- .001 movement but this time it would not go completely back to zero. It wasn't much off only about .0002 (the best I could tell) I don't know if that is enough to worry about. I then moved the indicator to the top of the objective bell and repeated the test. This time I was getting a change in zero of about +- .001" that is a .002 error. I ran a quick calculation and that .002" on a 4" ring spacing would give me a little over 1MOA change. My next test will be changing out rings and scope to see what changes that makes.