Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Changing POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Changing POI

You have a lot of variables going on and can't see the forest for the trees.
When I see this it leads me to believe this is most likely a shooter problem.

Have you tried putting the rifle in a rest and eliminating any shooter error?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not disagreeing with you but when I put the gun in a vise and watch the crosshairs move on the target, that isn't shooter error and the range test repeats exactly what the vise test shows.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

If the crosshairs change on their own, without you touching the scope, then you have internal damage to the scope itself...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagrantb View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you but when I put the gun in a vise and watch the crosshairs move on the target, that isn't shooter error and the range test repeats exactly what the vise test shows.
While it is possible the Nightforce has a problem...the odds most definitely are not in your favor.

I don't doubt that you can change POI. You can't put pressure on a full floating barrel or scope/receiver and not expect a change.

Shoot the rifle in a cradle/rest or ask an experienced shooter to test the rifle for you. Once you eliminate the possibility of shooter error you can move ahead.

Your drifting point of aim could easily be attributed to trigger operation or rifle/body position errors.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

I can get my other accurate rifles and shoot .5 or less and mostly less around .3-.4" 5 shot groups all day long. The group in the photo is typical and it happens the same every time. every time I put upward pressure on the scope it shoots low and every time I put down pressure it shoots high not most of the time but every time. If it were me it wouldn't repeat that every time. The group in the photo would be even smaller if i had compensated for the 10-15 MPH full value left to right wind, I just held center and shot. I don't think I could shoot 2 .3" groups by being a bad shooter.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

"I don't doubt that you can change POI. You can't put pressure on a full floating barrel or scope/receiver and not expect a change."

I guess that is my question. Can you and if so is it normal to change the POI by putting pressure on the barrel, receiver or scope. I'm not talking jumping up and down on the thing but something like picking up the gun by the ocular bell or getting up from prone position and putting pressure on the gun while doing it
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagrantb View Post
I can get my other accurate rifles and shoot .5 or less and mostly less around .3-.4" 5 shot groups all day long. The group in the photo is typical and it happens the same every time. every time I put upward pressure on the scope it shoots low and every time I put down pressure it shoots high not most of the time but every time. If it were me it wouldn't repeat that every time. The group in the photo would be even smaller if i had compensated for the 10-15 MPH full value left to right wind, I just held center and shot. I don't think I could shoot 2 .3" groups by being a bad shooter.
You should have said that earlier.
Put another scope on the rifle.