Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

changing glass on my 338lapua need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: changing glass on my 338lapua need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
I am just getting ready to purchase a .338 Lapua, and am also looking at the glass to put on top. I did go on the HORUS web site, and ran the demo quite a few times. I am leaning towards their "system", because (I think) once you figure out their system, it is spot on? Even a miss can be followed up with a quick second shot, using the grid? JMO, but I am leaning that way?
The Youtube videos using the Gunwerks/Huskemaw combo's seem to take too long to range, then dial up? The flip side is that once they do, they usually don't miss!! Decisions, decisions!!
You won't be shooting it in Washington Twp. Too populated...lol

I have a Viper on mine with no issues...yet, but then a braked 338 has less recoil than a 308 IMO.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Actually, I do shoot here. I am a member at North Macomb Sportsmans Club. About 3/4 of a mile south of there. Have a couple of dandy White Tails on my wall, from my back yard too!! I have Vipers on my 7mm, and one of my AR's, and a 243, and really like them. I'm interested in the HORUS reticle, but haven't made up my mind yet? I have a BDC on the AR, and Mill dot on the 7mm. The 243 is a cheaper Vortex, but the Boss System on that Winchester leaves just about zero recoil?
I've smoked a lot of Ground Hogs, and a couple Coyotes out back, in my food plots, with everything short of the 7mag!! Funny thing is, the deer won't run off my property when I shoot the ground hogs, even with my .243? They just run a bit, look around, like they are doing a head count, and go back to eating!!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Also, I have permission to shoot and Coyote hunt in one of the Gravel Pits right down the road. Pretty sure there is room to shoot out to 1000 yards +/-, so when I do get set up, you should come out and "gong" some long range steel?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Also, I have permission to shoot and Coyote hunt in one of the Gravel Pits right down the road. Pretty sure there is room to shoot out to 1000 yards +/-, so when I do get set up, you should come out and "gong" some long range steel?
PM sent......
Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

...Was a member of Dundee Sportsmans Club until this year. I dropped the membership because they only have a 100 yard range and the focus there is on trap and I'm not a scattergun shooter. 100 is fine for lesser calibers for adjustments but a 338, no way. There would always be an issue even on the 100 yard range because it interfered with trap or some function that was always going on in the clubhouse...

I'll miss the indoor pistol range but I can still shoot as a non-member for an extra 10 bucks. Fine with me actually.

I sighted it in at 300 (out back) and for kicks and grins took it to Dundee and I had to dial down 27 clicks to get on the paper at 100.

It did clear out the clubhouse however. Everyone wanted to see who was shooting a cannon..... I told them just not to stand off to the side. The wash from the brake is unpleasant.