Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Canting What do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Re: Canting What do you think?

I have heard that there were a few Nightforce scopes that had reticle cant problems. You may not be crazy.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

I use the EXD device

BROWNELLS : EXD ENGINEERING : EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

which is very well made

I checked it with a level and it was dead on

you set your rifle up in a vise and put the EXD on the scope and barrel and when it is level it means your rifle is uncanted and your barrel and scope are in alignment

While your rifle and scope are aligned and uncanted you need to level your reticle by rotating the scope. I aim it out the door to a 4' level on a fence 30 yds out. When the EXD reads level and your reticle is level with the distant horizontal or vertical object, you now have to carefully lock the rings down. It is much harder to do then you think, carefully tighten the screws from side to side, alternating as you go.

After your EXD is level and your reticle is level then you need to be able to duplicate that at the bench or in the field. So take this opportunity to install a ScopLevel

Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device

that folds down when not in use

Before I started doing it this way I tried the shoulder-it/rotate - shoulder-it/rotate and would get to the range and bench it and get frustrated cause the reticle was off. Then I tried the level-level-level

and found it frustrating and inaccurate (YMMV) cause finding a stable level area on your rifle is chancy at best, turrets on scopes are totally unreliable and the rinky dink bubbles a turn off.

But that's just me.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Woods good post! Thanks for taking the time to respond....
Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome post Woods.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Mate,

Read the manual!
Night force says to level the reticle using the flat surface under the scope turret, not on top of the turret which may not be level to the reticle.

Do not use the top of the turret.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

I have a neighbor that lives 200 yards from my house. We put a level on the corner of his house which is perfect. From my deck I can level my rifle and adjust the vertical cross hair to the edge of his house. I do not know how to get it any better than that.

joseph
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

The problem you describe is one that I have also. When I throw my rifle up and look through the scope my cross hairs are canted. I have a level mounted on the scope as well and I level my scope using the bubble. When I do this my cross hairs are still canted. I ignore it I know the scope is dead level, it has to be. The cross hairs are canted because of the way the rifle is held and your eye and body position to the cross hairs. All 4 of my rifles that have scopes on them appear to my eye to be canted when I hold them.
Nothing wrong with your scopes and nothing wrong with your mounting procedures. It would seem that you are careful when you mount a scope. many folks do not stop and use a level at all.