Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Canted Bases For Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Bronze Member

Canted Bases For Scope

Reading a thread I see reference to using a canted base for scopes on long range shooting. I think I understand this concept, but want to clarify my thoughts...

Isn't using a canted base just mean to place some sort of shim under one of the scope mounts to get the scope to sit slightly canted?

What if someone said "20 MOA", meaning their scope is set at that cant, what specifically does that mean? I understand MOA, but not for the cant. Does it mean the shim would cant the scope enough to have it impact a difference of 20" at 100 yards?

Wouldn't the cant for long range shooting be done exclusively on the back scope mount to get the front to prop down?

One last thing, I'm saying "shim", but think it's more than that. What exactly are you guys using or doing to cant your scope?

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Canted Bases For Scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSnipe View Post
Reading a thread I see reference to using a canted base for scopes on long range shooting. I think I understand this concept, but want to clarify my thoughts...

Isn't using a canted base just mean to place some sort of shim under one of the scope mounts to get the scope to sit slightly canted? You want the rear of the base (the end towards the rifle stock) higher.

What if someone said "20 MOA", meaning their scope is set at that cant, what specifically does that mean? I understand MOA, but not for the cant. Does it mean the shim would cant the scope enough to have it impact a difference of 20" at 100 yards? It simply cants the base 020'00" which will equate to 20.94" @ 100 yards. 1MOA=1.047" @ 100 yards.

Wouldn't the cant for long range shooting be done exclusively on the back scope mount to get the front to prop down? Well, you want the back of the scope higher than the front.

One last thing, I'm saying "shim", but think it's more than that. What exactly are you guys using or doing to cant your scope? Do not use shims, the link below will visually show you why.

Thanks, You're Welcome.

iSnipe
This will help you to understand the process. Don't use shims.

Click here to read all this great info. about that!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Bronze Member

Hello Eaglet!

Looks like I have the jist of the idea, so I'm in the ballpark anyway.

By the looks of that link you posted, I should be able to get a strong understanding of what it is with 3 pages of posts to read through.

Thank you for your help!

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

First thing to do before anything else, is to zero the rifle at 100 yards (or some other value if you wish). Then carefully spin the dial up to the top counting as you go and record how much elevation you have available. After that return the dial to your zero setting. Next carefully spin it down to bottom counting as you go and record how much you have available.

You can't shim/cant the base more than you have adjustment available. If you only have 10 MOA of down available then you cannot shim/cant 20 MOA and still zero your rifle. So, if you are already close to the bottom of the scope you will not benefit from shimming. If on the other hand you are at the middle or close to the top then shimming can help.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

Buffalobob,

Makes sense. I was thinking similar in the back of my mind about how much elevation I will have to work with. However, I would have not thought about figuring it out before hand. Great tip!

Thank you very much for your valued input. That'll help this ol' boy out when I get setup for long range.

iSnipe
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM

Not sure I understand the rear mount being higher than the front. How will this help in long range? It seems that this would use all your adjustment in the up direction and would leave you unable to raise the crosshairs in the proper direction for long range.
If someone would be so kind as to expain this!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
First thing to do before anything else, is to zero the rifle at 100 yards (or some other value if you wish). Then carefully spin the dial up to the top counting as you go and record how much elevation you have available. After that return the dial to your zero setting. Next carefully spin it down to bottom counting as you go and record how much you have available.

You can't shim/cant the base more than you have adjustment available. If you only have 10 MOA of down available then you cannot shim/cant 20 MOA and still zero your rifle. So, if you are already close to the bottom of the scope you will not benefit from shimming. If on the other hand you are at the middle or close to the top then shimming can help.
Learned this the hard way with a zeiss scope and warne 20 moa base on my weatherby.