Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

CANT , How much , Rail or Mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

CANT , How much , Rail or Mount

So Ive got my new PMII with double turn elevation system.
The rifle is zeroed in.
I'm now trying to reach out further so go to dial in the second turn and I hit the stop at 106cm not even on the second turn(max available 220cm)!

Presumably the only way is to cant the scope forward?

I calculate that at 45 MOA to get full use of resolution in this example is that correct?

Is there a rule that says a flat mounted scope with an Xmm tube gives X MOA elevation for a certan calibre/zero distance?

So that one can choose the cant etc in advance when planning a new set up?

What is best to cant , rail or mount?

Thanks

Jeza
Old 04-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: CANT , How much , Rail or Mount

Scope Bases for Long-Range Shooting By DANIEL LILJA
Old 04-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

I´d go with a 20 moa rail, badger and others make them and you will probably be able to use your actual mounts
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

What rifle are we talking aout Jeza?
You might take a look at the bases Ken Farrell makes if its avalable for your rifle. he wil do custom tapers that will let you make the most of your rig, and the customs cost less than the badgers, book items can be had from brownells for about $65. Its also a good idea to use a bore sighter to make sure that all of the turret rotation is "live travel" and actually moving the internals before you get too far into getting a base. You probably won't have taht problem with the high end scope you are using.. but better safe than sorry.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Its for the Accuracy AW in .243Win (the AI factory is allegedly reopening tomorrow).
I have asked to have a picittiny rail fitted, then I started thinking about the cant business.
They bond and screw the rail so what ever I decide I am stuck with it!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Ken makes a weaver for that rifle...72.80 for the 20moa, or the flat... so he is almost certanly able to do a custom... might give it some thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Jeza you have 2 options. either a canted rail or a canted 1 or 2 piece mount. I would certainly go with the 20MOA cant.I would base my decision on what the cost is going to be. and if AI do a canted rail. If you go with a canted rail you can use the mounts you have now. Depending on what AI charge for the rail you might be better off with a set of canted rings./ AI do em to fit thier own dove tail. They are a bit naff but work if you aren't removing the scope and expect return to zero. Have a look at the pic that Nowler posted on the mounts i supplied him with. That will give you an idea on what the 1 pice mounts look like, the ones i have only fit picatinny rails.
Pete
I hope you didn't pay too much for your PMII.