Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL\'s

I was just about to drop $1500+ give or take a couple hundred on a set of Swarovski 8-32's or 8.5x42's when just for fun I thought I would take a peek through a set of Canon 10x30 IS binoculars. Sure the EL's were the best glass in the house but why is it I can read distant store signs and see more detail farther out with greater eye comfort with the $300 Canons? Obviously for my eyes the image stabilization is more important than trick glass. I know they are not water proof or up to severe hunting condition but for fair weather the Canons allow my tired eyes a measurably better view. I still want the EL's for the rough stuff but have a feeling I will spend more time burning up batteries in the Canons. Has anyone else used the Canon image stabilized glasses?

I understand they work equally well from a moving vehicle. I will have to try that once while riding shotgun. I have tried it with regular binoculars and it is not fuctional.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL\'s

Hired Gun,

I learned my lesson the hard way right up in your neck of the woods, I bought a set of Pentax (Ľ $400) binos several years ago to use in Eastern Oregon. Speaking of tired eyes; Wow after a couple of full days glassing, I was getting splitting headaches. I normally have good vision, but the lesser quality glass caused major eye strain and fatigue. I posted a question recently about the Bushnell Elites and was advised to go with the top-end Euro glass. IMHO, This has proved to be sound advice and well worth the extra investment. I can use the Zeiss binos all day without any noticeable fatigue. As far as glassing from a moving vehicle; I wouldnít risk it for extended periods of time, regardless of the binos, especially if you are over 25 years old.

Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I understand they work equally well from a moving vehicle. I will have to try that once while riding shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

this brought back a memory that made me smile...a long time ago in a land far, far away (well, just across the Irish sea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) a pal (piloting a helicopter hovering (at night)a couple of thousand or so feet above the ground) told me to use a pair of image intensified stabilised binos (that were kept in the helicopter) to observe some ground activity. After about 30 seconds use in the wind buffeted helicopter (with my body being shaken about, but my field of view stabilised)I started to feel nauseous....I asked my pal how he managed to use them without feeling sick....he replied "they make us sick too; we don't use them" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

..good luck with using them from a moving vehicle! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you are going to be glassing all day, get the best glass and mount them on a tripod. Problem solved

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

I only have the use of one hand so I employ the tripod or window mount a lot for my spotting scope. It just doesn't have a wide enough field of view to cover much ground very fast. I had settled on the 8-32 EL's for my hand held scanning uses but since tasting the nectar of another flower I am so confused. If you haven't tried a set of Canon image stabilised glasses lately you really need to see what your missing with the Swarovski's. I couldn't believe it. I have been thinking nice binoculars for a couple years and was ready to buy the EL's but now I just can't get these Canon's out of my head. They are that much better when hand held than anything else I have tried. They allow me to really get a good look at everything I point them at. If they were waterproof and had a lifetime warranty it would be no contest. Right now I'm thinking buy the Canon's right now and get the EL's for backup. Somebody tell me I'm not crazy!

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Hired Gun,

I have not tried the Canons, They do make a lot of innovative & quality products though, & technology keeps improving things all the time,
If you like emí, go for it, No such thing as too much nice equipment. Youíre probably not crazy either. Because of my attention to sporting gear; the X now has the place at Sun River & Iíve got a ratís nest with more storage area than living space.
Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Go with the Swarovskis, but have a look at the SLCs as well. The 7x42 very good for woodland and the 10x42 are great for open ground. I have both and wouldnt part with them.

Another make to look at for good optics is Minox or Steiner (Both German) and they are cheaper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]